Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Replacement filter/light

Discussion in 'Tropical Discussion' started by Sylvan, Sep 12, 2019 at 6:38 AM.

1. Sylvan

Sylvan New Member

I emailed Fluval about the light going on my filter/light for my Fluval Chi and whether it was possible to replace just the light without replacing the whole unit. It turns it's not possible and I'd have to buy a new cube. I'm now thinking about replacing it with a small filter at the back of the tank and getting a clip on light as the cube takes up a lot of room in the tank and I have to remove it if I want to acclimatise new livestock for it so I'm looking for recommendations as it's very easy to get lost on Amazon.

2. AbbeysDad

AbbeysDad Member

For HOB filters, I feel that Aquaclear still rules the day. Seachem's Tidal gets some buzz, but I still think the Aquaclear is about the best. It doesn't use cartridges in favor of foam and your choice of bio* and chemical media. It also easily allows flow control by turning the inlet tube to reduce output by increasing re-filtration. (I have 4 running Aquaclear filters for years. (* for bio-media, I prefer bio-sponge over ceramics or rocks)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Back in the fold

Back in the fold Fishaholic

YES ! They can junk every other outside power filter ,or HOB as this acronym crazy generation calls them, and just get right down to business and set Aquaclear up as a monopoly . I have one of those Bio-Wheel monstrosities and I hate it. Aquaclears give you so much more bang for the buck that there is no comparison to them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. seangee

seangee Member

I like my Seachem tidal. Pretty much everything @AbbeysDad said about the Aquaclear and the pump is submerged so no priming after water changes or power outages - it just works.

5. AbbeysDad

AbbeysDad Member

I never have to prime my Aquaclear HOB filters. For water changes, I simply pull the lift tube before, then reinsert it after...and a power outage is also not an issue,... although I do find that periodically (once every month or two) I need to pull the filter and clean out the impeller magnet chamber.