Rena Xp 1?

tim1

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 27, 2008
Messages
112
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Does anybody own a Rena XP 1? I am planning to buy it for a 40 gallon aquarium, and I want to know if anybody has had any problems with it. I think that 250gph will be more than enough for a 40gallon aquarium...right?

Thanks.
 
I own a Rena XP2. They are great little filters :good: I'd personaly go with a XP2 for a 40g, as IMO a XP1 may be under filtered. Manufacturer recomendations can be very, well, optimistic on tank capacities. You want a filter rated for a tank 1.5 times the size of your tank :good:

My only critisisum is that the standord media isn't briliant. They include a chemi-zorb pad which will remove ammonia and nitrite starving the filter bacteria. This would make you reliant on these pads. Which ever you go for, collect some bio-ceramic media, and place it in the filter in the position of the bio-chem zorb filter. :good:

All the best
Rabbut
 
I run a xp3 on my 55gal, the tank has a heavy bioload. It does a ok job at almost full power, makes a good current too. Only problem is at only 2 years old mine already leaks occasionally. Where the cord goes into the filter housing.
 
I plan on either getting a Rena or Tetratec, if I can find one. None of the stores around here seem to sell Eheims...
 
Across the two, I prefur Tetratec, but both are admirable filters. I won't state my opinion of Eheim, as it tends to caurse arguments :shifty: I bought a Tetratec EX1200 from 1st 4 aquatics limited for £69.99. They are the current cheapest across the Tetratec range, include delivery and they are amazingly quick at dispatching items. It took mine three days accross a weekend :nod:

1st 4 aquatics limited website

The 700 would probibly do the job, but the 1200 would be better. All media is included and I cannot fault them :good:

All the best
Rabbut

EDIT to add, they sell Eheim too, if you are interested. They are highly recomended by me for their sevice. I don't know how their Eheim prices shape up to the compertition...
 
I would agree on the XP2 recommendation. XP1 is a waste, just like the XP4 is a waste. 2 and 3 are the sweet spot.
 
Alright, thanks guys!

The TetraTec, is that only available in the UK? I live in Canada, and I can't find it in any stores, or anywhere online, except for UK sites...
 
I think they are available elsewere, but out of the UK, they have a different brand name. I think it's Aquaclear? Not 100% shure of that though :nod:
 
Ah. I've only seen AquaClear HOB's around here. But OK, thanks for your help. I think I might just get an Eheim, they seem to get much better reviews from everyone.
 
I think I might just get an Eheim, they seem to get much better reviews from everyone.

Except me.....But my understanding is that the two Eheim failures that I had in quick succession were a rarety, rather than the norm...First the origional failed within a week, the replacement within a day :no: Put me off them, but apparently failures with Eheim are rare :good: Someone should have told those two filters that :rolleyes: :lol:

All the best
Rabbut
 
Tim I have an XP1 running on a 29 and its doing a very nice job there. The XP2 is more than you probably need on a 40 but the XP1 is only just big enough for a 40. To me a 40 is an awkward in between size for the XP series. If you stock lightly and expect it to stay that way the XP1 is probably fine. If not, I would go with the XP2 for that tank. It will be more flexible on what you can keep in the long run. Both filters are great to use but a filter is not the place to cut corners in my opinion.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top