Rena Aqualife 450 With Diy Backdrop - 1st Tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fitted_3.jpg

Hello George,

Looks promising!
I have a question though - I have the same tank (Rena Classic 450) with smaller filters running, in my office, and I\m planning to upgrade to Fluval FX5.
Does FX5 actually fit into the tank cabinet? Do you have any problems maintaining such a big filter in the cabinet of 450?

Thank you!

Thanks still waiting to find time to finish it off.

As for your question about the FX5. I haven't actually had this (or indeed any) tank running, I can confirm that the filter does fit in the cabinet, just about, as for ease of maintenence I'm afraid I can't enlighten you as yet.

Thanks still waiting to find time to finish it off.

As for your question about the FX5. I haven't actually had this (or indeed any) tank running, I can confirm that the filter does fit in the cabinet, just about, as for ease of maintenence I'm afraid I can't enlighten you as yet.

Thanks for reply - I did take a chance and bought FX5 - it fits perfectly, and the maintenance is quite easy (unless you're trying to carry the filter when it's full of water :rolleyes: ). The filter does its job very good, and I'm more then satisfied! I'm about to finish my setup in a few weeks. Hope to see your tank finised and running soon as well!

P.S. The only little issue is that the tubes are a little bit wider then the openings we have on aquarium back wall, thus aquarium cover plates do not fit perfectly. This doesn't really bother me, but I see 2 possible way to solve it, if any:
- remove rubber pads from openings on the back, this would probably add the missing 3-4mm
- cut off a small part of covering plate to make enough room for the tubes.

Good luck!

So here it is the set up as it stands prior to adding water. The sand is still a little wet so will lighten up, going to hide some blue LED's under the rock pile on right but wondered if anyone had any other thoughts or good ideas before I fill it up.

Tank.jpg

Yes its a huge rock, weighed 35kg!, but it has a lovely white vein in it and had to have it in there. Lowered it in by using polystyrene sheets like a set of stairs so I could shift my weight to lower it and rest between movements.

leftside.jpg

As I say this will be lit with blue LED's from behind and seems to serve ok to hide the Fluval U4 cannister and the intake for the FX5. I am assuming there is no issue with this being behind a pile of rocks? Went with as many big rocks as possible, this set up is full of caves and nice big caverns and in and out tunnels, should be enough for as many residents as I put in there. Propped the bottom rock up to give a big cave at the bottom too.

rightside.jpg

wow you realy have done a great job with this,cant wait to see it full with plants maby use some java moss, amasoiniawillow moss or coral pellia on the rocks andmaby some carnivorous Utricularia graminifolia belongs to the bladderwort family whish you should add as a grassy carpet when the tanlk is more established and hase a few microscopic insects running around, the LED idea sounds great. :drool:

Afraid you could be disappointed as it is unlikely to end up with any plants in it. May add a few while its cycling to see what it looks like.
All going well at the moment getting some nitrite readings already.
filled_tank.jpg

attempt at a night shot, couldn't be bothered to get tripod out and tricky to do long exposures with handheld camera so a little shakey but the ideas there.

BTW please ignore the green and pink plastic jellyfish, joke present from my mother in law.

led_lit.jpg

Wow! That looks superb. I can just see my malawi mbuna in there.

hey HappyGeorge did this post end? Hows your set-up to date? Did you find that all the ingredients used for your backdrop have worked okay? I'm looking a starting a similar (much smaller!) 3d background project.

hey HappyGeorge did this post end? Hows your set-up to date? Did you find that all the ingredients used for your backdrop have worked okay? I'm looking a starting a similar (much smaller!) 3d background project.

Sorry for delay thought this had died a death and everyone had got bored of me.

The tank is cycling as we speak, turning over 5ppm of Ammonia in 12 hours and in my Nitrite spike we are getting close. The background seems fine, there has been no adverse effect on the pH of the water, its holding steady at 8 and the water is crystal clear.

It was fantastic when it came to putting the rockwork in as it gave a extra support. Will post again when the fish are in.

If anyone has any specific questions, things that are unclear here, or places to buy materials then send me a PM and I shall endeavour to help.

A very interesting and fantastic project George, thanks for the blow by blow account, I would like to attempt something similar in my 150 gallon. I have seen some projects like this elsewhere, but yours looks by far the best I have seen.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of mother in law, I would lose the plastic jellyfish. :lol: :shout:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back