Removing Vista

I have used linux for the last 5 years started off with fedora then ubuntu, since then I think I have been through a lot of different ones and atm Maryan is my favourite. Its superfast, looks great and is intuitive with the enlightenment 17 desktop manager, I am not a big fan of KDE or Gnome

rab, with me using ubuntu, and noting that redhat is also a popular one - what would you say are the pros and cons of both

salty - may have to look into that one also

The main con with Ubuntu for me was poor driver availability, followed by distracting graphics, low stability and poor program compatability. This supprised me a bit as it's the most popular distro. The graphics I could get used to with time, and I could find alternative programs to use (or write my own...), but dirvers and stability issues are a little bit more difficult to work arround. This said, stability issues could have been down to no drivers being available for some hardware and me not realy knowing what I was doing with Linux at the time...

Red Hat seems more stabe, supports more programs and the graphics are less distacting. Driver support I'll see about when I get to installing it, and that's where the fun will begin.... :lol:

All the best
Rabbut

The main con with Ubuntu for me was poor driver availability, followed by distracting graphics, low stability and poor program compatability. This supprised me a bit as it's the most popular distro. The graphics I could get used to with time, and I could find alternative programs to use (or write my own...), but dirvers and stability issues are a little bit more difficult to work arround. This said, stability issues could have been down to no drivers being available for some hardware and me not realy knowing what I was doing with Linux at the time...

Red Hat seems more stabe, supports more programs and the graphics are less distacting. Driver support I'll see about when I get to installing it, and that's where the fun will begin.... :lol:

All the best
Rabbut

you just reminded me why i don't run any version of X

Red Hat is more stable than any computer runing any version of Windows at Uni though... In fact, despite doing loads of resource hogging stuff, I've not yet had one crash....

I cant really see why you would go back to XP, I think Vista is a great improvement to be honest. It appears to use a lot of HDD space but actually its just restore points. As the memory decreases it will trim the amount of restore points to release teh space. Or just turn off restore all together to get the space back

I've been hearing lots of reports of instability on less powerful systems to be fair from Vista. Even now, unless its a reasonably well speced computer, you may find it struggles with Vista.... Oh, and bug fixed Vista, or is that Windows 7, is now being marketed for release soon. Unfortunately, they want a few hundered quid more for the bug fixes :rolleyes:

Xp is 8 years old its going to run better on older systems fact
Vista is 2 years old and designed for technology of this day
Pc manufacturers like money they want to maximise profits
Old tech is generally cheaper especially in mass production so favoured by manufacturers
Windows offers pc manufacturers subsidies to buy vista making it cheaper to use it then xp
Pc manufacturers don't care on speed or reliability providing it doesn't break during warranty they don't have to touch it, its not there problem you bought it as is deal with it yourself

There is one exception Lenovo (IBM) ugly as anything laptops but they are the most reliable company according to all the forums I trawl and they will even fix a laptop that has recently passed its warranty date e.g. 1-2 weeks without extra charge.

Most reactions

Back