Removal of Fry - Suggestions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
Hey guys - looking for any tricks of the trade.

I've got some Apistogramma Cacatouides (breeding journal here ) whose fry will be at the 2 week mark next Friday.

There are probably 30-50 fry.

The thing is - these Apisto’s are really shy and in my experience can take weeks to be comfortable after a big change to their tank. I’m trying to cause the least amount of stress when getting the fry separated.

Any ideas on the best way to remove the fry?

Or alternatively, should I just move the parents in one swoop?

Thanks for your input.

My main concern was causing stress on the parents, but I suspect a new tank with identical water parameters (same size tank, water change schedules, temp etc.) would be less stressful than trying to catch 30+ fry and leave the parents in the original tank + any stress that is applied to the fry and could increase mortality.

If anyone else has some additional thoughts please let me know!

Remember that the fry are a lot more delicate than the parents. The fry also only know the water that they are in at the moment

Thanks. When I've bred other fish I normally just move the parents but these fish caused me to be concerned because they are so temperamental.

I'll probably pull the parents sometime this week before they decide to lay eggs again - that would spell disaster!

Thanks. When I've bred other fish I normally just move the parents but these fish caused me to be concerned because they are so temperamental.

I'll probably pull the parents sometime this week before they decide to lay eggs again - that would spell disaster!
Good idea, The youngsters will be safe then as well.

Do not separate the babies from the adults until the babies are all swimming around exploring the tank. This usually occurs after a month or so. When the babies are no longer sleeping in the nest with the adults, and are swimming around by themselves, then you move them out.

Do not separate the babies from the adults until the babies are all swimming around exploring the tank. This usually occurs after a month or so. When the babies are no longer sleeping in the nest with the adults, and are swimming around by themselves, then you move them out.

the babies have already begun to explore outside of Mom’s reach.

her last batch, at the two week mark, she laid eggs again and then ate her remaining fry from the first batch.

I’d rather that not happen again.

Most reactions

trending

Back