Regular Meds

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dougie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all.
I touched on this subject a while ago & the thread got side tracked a little.
With most other pets (dogs, cats etc) we treat them every 4 months or so for worms, get a booster jab every year etc, yet I've never heard anyone say they do the same for fish. For example, perhaps once a year medicate your tank against internal parisites. Things we cannot see.
I've been thinking about this again since a LFS tried to sell me a 'general tonic' which supposedly nipped any nasties in the bud before problems start & helped with a myriad of preventative measures. I didn't buy it, but it did start me thinking again.
Any thoughts?

The best medicine is perfect water conditions. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and low nitrates. And a ph and GH that suits the fish in the tank. Keep it all good and you don't need to waste money on miracle tonics.

The best medicine is perfect water conditions. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and low nitrates. And a ph and GH that suits the fish in the tank. Keep it all good and you don't need to waste money on miracle tonics.
Good point, as I said I didn't buy it, it just made me think..

I think you'll find the difference is; dogs and cats come into contact with other dogs and cats; not to mention, slugs, rabbits, sheep, cows, horses, people, etc etc. So they're constantly in 'danger' of infection from sources outside your control.

Your fish however, once they're in your tank, are not likely to ever come into contact with any infected fish, so they don't need preventative meds like your dog or cat.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back