Regional tanks… what can go in with Congo tetras

I think the centrepiece approach is outmoded. Now that we pay attention to scaping and tank design, the supposed centrepiece is just another fish.
I'm inclined to agree...but a couple of big, shiny fish can look awfully nice in the right tank.

"at the end of the day" ( sorry I just had to ) the tank should be the centerpiece ;)

I don't like the way bones of mortal enemies can raise the pH. But the tears of mortal enemies can be an effective water conditioner in a hard water tank.

Who needs a centerpiece... Oooo... those yellow tails can get pretty... looking for a few more pictures, ran across these in a couple places ( limited info on line )
1700513261462.png

1700513342679.png

1700513485191.png

African Tetras came today... I tried to run home & put them in the tank... just barely got them done ( rushing ) a few are very colorful, I think one of the Red cap moons was floating, but I called back to work right away... this seller individually packages & says they are OK for up to 3 days ( mine, only 1 day so far ) but I didn't have time to do the Rummy Noses into the South American tank yet... will have to un bag those when I get home... back to the Africans... the gold ones were easy to tell, with their neon blue eyes, & one of yellow tails had good color on the tail... these again, are pretty small... easy to see my Interuptus have grown... they are at least twice the size of any of the new fish...

Last edited:
All 4 red cap moons are good… got a mess of them… everyone seems to be getting along right now, anyway… the red brichardi are hanging pretty tight with the blues… even though the interuptus is so much bigger no issues… the gold and blues, are hanging with the interuptus, and they are already pretty… can’t wait to see them in a few weeks…
IMG_4514.jpeg

Another interesting thing, with these African’s… assuming being wild caught, instead of farm raised… I have 4 distinct sizes of red cap moons, each is half again larger than the next smaller… the farm raised rummy nose’s are all in the South American tank, all exactly the same size, but seem to be much healthier that the ones I got from the other seller

yesterday, everyone was hanging in about a 1 foot sphere... today they are spreading out & finding their way... The tank is pretty crowded, but I have a tendency to over filter... so the water quality should stay fine, as long as they all get along... we'll see as they grow... if I end up with the crowding not being acceptable to the fish, I may need to make that next 45 I'm getting ready to fill, also into an African tank... at the start of this journey, I only really knew about the Interuptus... I didn't know I'd find so many interesting African river Tetras...

I didn't know I'd find so many interesting African river Tetras...
that's the thing- now that I'm actually reading a lot and studying different areas of the hobby, I'm finding there are WAY more things I want to do than I can find a way to do. I guess that's part of what makes it so fascinating. I look forward to see the progression of this tank and others to come.

that's the thing- now that I'm actually reading a lot and studying different areas of the hobby, I'm finding there are WAY more things I want to do than I can find a way to do. I guess that's part of what makes it so fascinating. I look forward to see the progression of this tank and others to come.
One of my favorite parts of my biotopish tanks is researching some completely foreign-to-me area of the world. It's almost like traveling, but a lot cheaper.

The American Museum of Natural History used to have a great site about Congo River Tetras, but the link now takes me to a general museum site. I can't get in anymore....

It is lean pickings to learn about. The DRC is a dangerous country with sectarian Christian armies battling in the interior. You meet the Lord's Army and you won't be coming home. There are not a lot of researchers going in, and a lot undiscovered by us species as far as fish go.
Congo Brazzavile, the Republic of Congo, only recently opened up to exploration. There, it's safer, but not a lot of it's on the main river where the tetras are.

If there were more interest, there are exporters in Kinshasa, and fish can be gotten. But because they need a lot of oxygen, they cost to ship.

Old cell phone, so I know my pictures are not good, but these gold and blue’s look like they are going to be amazing fish… in general, everything that came in this week, is roughly half grown
Right now the gold and blue have a good color of gold, that the dark water masks a little, and the neon blue eyes
IMG_4517.jpeg

Most reactions

Back