“Refurbishing” Old tanks???

OP
OliveFish05

OliveFish05

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I do know that if you are contacting a seller through Craigslist, when the listing is deleted it cuts off communication.

I just figured, I will do my best, I will do it well, and it is the buyers responsibility to make sure THEY felt comfortable with my work.
One thing I can’t standnwhen I’m buying something in craigslist is when people either don’t put up pictures or they put up like 2 photos and then say “Please don’t message me with a bunch of questions, just look at the photos”

Slaphppy7

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I do know that if you are contacting a seller through Craigslist, when the listing is deleted it cuts off communication.

I just figured, I will do my best, I will do it well, and it is the buyers responsibility to make sure THEY felt comfortable with my work.
One thing I can’t standnwhen I’m buying something in craigslist is when people either don’t put up pictures or they put up like 2 photos and then say “Please don’t message me with a bunch of questions, just look at the photos”
TBH, even though you enjoy working on tanks, I wouldn't get your hopes up when it comes to selling them...where I live, even like-new tanks don't sell for much second hand, you have to practically give them away, regardless of size or moderate/cheap pricing.

OP
OliveFish05

OliveFish05

Fish Herder
Reaction score
TBH, even though you enjoy working on tanks, I wouldn't get your hopes up when it comes to selling them...where I live, even like-new tanks don't sell for much second hand, you have to practically give them away, regardless of size or moderate/cheap pricing.
Oh wow. I suppose it would depend on the area? I have seen several tanks go for crazy prices around here, but I don’t know

Slaphppy7

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Oh wow. I suppose it would depend on the area? I have seen several tanks go for crazy prices around here, but I don’t know
Probably DOES depend on your area...I live in a fairly small town...found a dirty 75G by the side of the road, brought it home, cleaned it up, and leak tested it....looks like new, and doesn't leak...after deciding I really don't have room for it in my house, I decided to go ahead and sell it, have it advertised for $50, and haven't gotten a single inquiry about it...probably will end up giving it away

If I lived near Houston or another sizable town, it may be different, though...

OP
OliveFish05

OliveFish05

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Probably DOES depend on your area...I live in a fairly small town...found a dirty 75G by the side of the road, brought it home, cleaned it up, and leak tested it....looks like new, and doesn't leak...after deciding I really don't have room for it in my house, I decided to go ahead and sell it, have it advertised for $50, and haven't gotten a single inquiry about it...probably will end up giving it away

If I lived near Houston or another sizable town, it may be different, though...
Woahhhhh

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score

You definitely need to stay on top of communication if you sell via Craigslist.

The most annoying thing when I shop on Craigslist, is when there’s a super good post, but the person either doesn’t respond at all, or takes like 2 weeks to do so. :rolleyes:

OP
OliveFish05

OliveFish05

Fish Herder
Reaction score
You definitely need to stay on top of communication if you sell via Craigslist.

The most annoying thing when I shop on Craigslist, is when there’s a super good post, but the person either doesn’t respond at all, or takes like 2 weeks to do so. :rolleyes:
Ohhhhhh. That is frustrating!

azvictoria

Reaction score
Are there liability issues when selling on Craigslist? I mean, I know I would always do my best, but if say one of the tanks were to leak after the person brought it home, either due to a mistake in the seal or poor handling on setup, isn’t that the kind of thing that when you are buying an aquarium off Craigslist you do so at your own risk?
I'm not sure, I just want to make sure you're not in harms way by selling a potential flood device. It might be worth looking into. If it's a product like an iPad or crock pot that doesn't work, it doesn't work. A tank that fails can cause problems. It's also not something that the buyer can test before buying - sure, they can see water in it before you sell it, but you don't know how it's moved or knocked around in a vehicle. Look after yourself for sure.