Reflectors

charlie_fish

Reaction score
Hi,

Does a reflector actually double your light output? Say if I had an 18W bulb would the use of a reflector duble the output to 36W? I am using an arcadia light controller and it only has one light fixing, so I can only use one bulb with it, is there another way of using another bulb or will a reflector be enough? :unsure:

Please help I want to give my plants enough light so they can grow and flourish!

Thanks
Charlie :p

I use them on 2 of the 4 of my tanks and i think they do work! Can not say how much light they will actually reflect as i do not have access to a meter at the moment. But i can check one of these days, unless someone else has checked themselfves and not just read the packet for the usual bumff.

hey Great Lakes, :D

I have a 15 gallon tank and I want to grow Java Moss, Java Fern, Vallis, maybe some egeria densa and maybe some kind of sword (but these can be difficult!)

What do u think?
Charlie :p

Idonät know about doubling... But gives more light down to the tank.

It certainly helps having reflectors. And if the inside of the hood of your tank is not white in colour then it would be a good idea to get that to reflect light as well. Use either a non-toxic paint or stick kitchen foil like I do ;)

It won't double the wattage....since the light can only put out that much in the first place. but what it can do is take all the light given off in different directions and send it back into the tank making it much more efficient.

hehe good point steevo im a little worys that some of the hoods might not be designed to have foil on the inside be carefull when applying it. you wouldnt want to block the lights cooling if there are vent holes or something. also be shure not to put the foil in the ends where the bulb contacts are as this could cause you and the fish to fry a little bit. a word of caution 8)

Jamnog said:
...also be shure not to put the foil in the ends where the bulb contacts are as this could cause you and the fish to fry a little bit. a word of caution 8)
Don't worry about electricuting your fish, they aren't grounded so they can't be electricuted. :rolleyes:

ahh but the fry part was them cooking kinda wile you catch fire. bzzfzz also prolly something to think about on metal hoods that none of the contacts meet the foil.

Most reactions

Back