Reflections

Thomas A. Anderson

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

When I feed my fish, I generally turn the light on.

Whilst the light is on it makes the tank reflect upon itself (not philosophically) and my siamese fighting fish appeared to be getting anxious towards its relection, is that normal and is there any danger of it hurting itself?

This is normal. He's just defending his territory against his reflection. No harm done. My guys do this all the time. Rose

ya my mollies still chase their own reflections up and down the glass and they have been in the tank for 2 months. eejits!

Instinctive reactions as Rose says. When there is no real enemy you will find your fish eases off, but keeping a weary eye on itself. This leads me back to my previous threads about intelligence, or lack of it as the case maybe.

I don't know about bettas, but often when I pass a mirror and glance in, I see this old lady staring back at me and it gives me the shakes :grumpy: I don't know where she comes from, but she disappears as soon as I move on. I never can catch her in person :angry:

It's funny watching these home video programs where theres always a cat or a dog chasing itself in a mirror :laugh:

Didn't you catch Ramesses doing that while he was with you? He's doing it all the time now! (that and climbing the curtains LOL)

lol. Yep things and reflective surfaces. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now and agin it's good to hold a mirror to the tank so a betta can see himself. Makes him flair out and do all the posturing etc, makes him think he's worth while.(look guy's I scared that fish off I'm hard as nails. lmao. Just do it occasionaly though as to much will stress him out.

I agree... I used to hold a mirror up for my Siamese Fighter now and then.

For a day or so afterwards he would be far more active in the tank.

another tip is a floating ball(pingpong or similar in the tank) It gives the bettas something to interactact with. I'm one of those that believe bettas have minds like parrots etc which have been tested to be equivelent to a 3 year olds. ever seen a bored 3 yearold then looked at a betta in a bear tank with nothing to do?
I velieve studies are going on just now(I need to find more info). They've just put the common crow into the same if not higher category.

Nice one adeyc.. :)

I'll have to try that if I ever get another one.

I do like the Siamese Fighter but am a bit dubious about getting another one.

The first one I had was great, but when it passed on after a couple of years I got another one and that would not leave my Neon's alone! I took him back and got a different one and that one was constantly fighting with my Gourami!

Maybe I was just lucky the first time around. Can anyone tell me... Should a Siamese Fighter get on with these fish?

Neon Tetra's
Lemon Tetra's
Zebra Danios
Leopard Cory's
Clown Pleco
Dwarf Gourami
RTB Shark

The RTB and the Gourami may be a prob.
depends on how many tetras you've got. a lot of peeps class them as fin nippers but I;'ve not had any prob's.
As forr the betta attacking/chasing the other fish it's just trying to establish it's teritory. most are bent on world domination starting with the tank. Mine are in tanks of there own as the new filter I've got in the communtiy tank is a bit striong for long fins and the other tanks have fish that aren't suitable.

Thx Adyec,

Still not convinced though.

Would I be better adding one to the tank in the earlier stages then? as opposed to when all the other fish are established.

I presume by adding it early that it could establish it's territory without too many other fish getting in it's way.

Most reactions

Back