Reduce Air Flow In Air Pump ?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fountainpen

Reaction score
Hi,
Just got an airpum its an Elite 802.
My tank does not need one I have got it to attach to a bubblers for ornamental reasons. The problem is the bubbles are too much - far too much !Does anyone know if there is a way of reducing the airflow so they are nice and calm ? There is nothing on te instructions and if its possible at all ?

Hi,
Just got an airpum its an Elite 802.
My tank does not need one I have got it to attach to a bubblers for ornamental reasons. The problem is the bubbles are too much - far too much !Does anyone know if there is a way of reducing the airflow so they are nice and calm ? There is nothing on te instructions and if its possible at all ?

as i dont have this air pump the only way i can say is to buy one of the air taps and add it into the air line which you can then open to the required ammount.

I think that is a twin outlet pump....in any case just use one outlet
then utilise
Algarde Gang Valve Starter Kit (or similar)
Use one valve to supply your tank and the other to bleed air to atmosphere.
Regards
C

Simple airline clamps do the trick, simple clamp the airline to stop the airflow until your satisfied, they cost 50p from most lfs.

ps, there is 2 screws either side of the eilte 802 airpump, unscrew them slightly as well cos they adjust the suctions inside and can minimize the flow, but a clamp if miles more affective.

I strongly disagree with the clamp idea. Clamping the tubing puts pressure on the air pump, which could damage it.
A gang valve is much better, because you regulate the amount of air with a little dial. The gang valve also releases extra air from the pump into the room, instead of sending it back.

I strongly disagree with the clamp idea. Clamping the tubing puts pressure on the air pump, which could damage it.
A gang valve is much better, because you regulate the amount of air with a little dial. The gang valve also releases extra air from the pump into the room, instead of sending it back.

that theory is wrong, it actually puts lets pressure on the rubbers inside cos they are not bouncing so much, its not run off motor either so cant strain it, magnets inside are solid and cant wear off pressure.

There is no need to restrict the flow of air from the air pump. Instead you can set things up with a T in the air supply line. Once you have the T, use a valve on the side tap to draw off as much air as you wish and let the rest go to the air stone. I must disagree with Livebearer Master on this one. I have ruined far too many air pumps over the years by throttling them too much. The diaphragm and the flexible check valve inside the air pump are the parts that wear out first and they go much faster on an air pump with its flow restricted. Some air pumps are made with a screw-like control on them that adjusts the diaphragm movement and thus the air output. Those can indeed be throttled with no adverse effects.

There is no need to restrict the flow of air from the air pump. Instead you can set things up with a T in the air supply line. Once you have the T, use a valve on the side tap to draw off as much air as you wish and let the rest go to the air stone. I must disagree with Livebearer Master on this one. I have ruined far too many air pumps over the years by throttling them too much. The diaphragm and the flexible check valve inside the air pump are the parts that wear out first and they go much faster on an air pump with its flow restricted. Some air pumps are made with a screw-like control on them that adjusts the diaphragm movement and thus the air output. Those can indeed be throttled with no adverse effects.

have u ever takne pa pump apart and restricted the flow and watched the rubberS? try it, it makes no difference on them speed wise, it actually makes them use less action back and forth, they can only max out what the magnets will let them, so the more flow they got, the more work they do..

The only thing that gets stranged is the magnet, its solid steel and cant break lol

As i stated above as well, the elite 802 has 2 screws at either side to adjust the speed.

I also beg to Differ....

The clamp Idea will cause Back Pressure

Back pressure is the buildup of pressure on the diaphragm due
to restricted air flow. This occurs when excess air is produced
by the air pump, or when the air channels are inadvertently
blocked. Back pressure over time resulting from clogged air
stones or other air system blockages and restrictions will cause
the diaphragm to expand or rupture. An expanded diaphragm
leads to a loss of air volume while a rupture results in the total
loss of air.

Or unless HAGEN are talking out their hat!

C

Most reactions

Back