Redmoor Wood And Lovely White Fungusy Stuff

minxfishy

Fish Maniac
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
8,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I know its normal for it to happen and that I just need to wipe it off and eventually it stops growing fungus on it, just wondering as my fish seem to be eating it, is it going to harm them?
 
I know its normal for it to happen and that I just need to wipe it off and eventually it stops growing fungus on it, just wondering as my fish seem to be eating it, is it going to harm them?

no its harmless.... :rolleyes:

had it on my mopani wood for ages, tried salting it, soaking it and boiling it but to no avail...my BN loves eating it tho :good:
 
Ohhhh I have a BN in another tank, might fish him out and see how he goes with it :D
 
although sometimes i would be reluctant as the mould is growing on a particular part of the wood due to a tiny toxin being released. your choice.
 
So your saying its not a good idea nick? I was just gonna wipe it off when I do water changes and suck it up the vac, you saying I should remove it as it could be harmful?
 
it could, 80% of the time it will probably be fine but i personally wouldnt risk it. i have only had the mould once, i cleaned it off and it was fine and never returned.
 
OK, well I shall wipe it off tomorrow with the w/c and hope it doesnt come back :good:
 
Hi Minx
Its pretty much harmless bacteria, my 3 bristlenose went straight for it when it started to form on my piece of redmoor and no harm has come to them
 
if its only a tiny bit let them munch it, but if itsa larger lump of white fungus then remove it. you should also adress why it is there in the first place? is it a new piece or in a new tank?
 
Its there because its new wood and in a new tank. I knew it would get it, just didnt think the fish would eat it, the rainbows keep having a nibble. Yeah its just a fine white fungus, nothing sinister.

Was soaked for a few days and scrubbed well before adding it to the tank.
 
Its there because its new wood and in a new tank. I knew it would get it, just didnt think the fish would eat it, the rainbows keep having a nibble. Yeah its just a fine white fungus, nothing sinister.

Was soaked for a few days and scrubbed well before adding it to the tank.

i had it too on a new bit of wood, see one of my threads for more info on it

i soaked it for weeks, boiled it and scrubbed with salt and it never returned in great amounts, it is harmless bacteria and your BN will love it
 
it will be harmless then if its a new piece of wood in a new tank, if it wasnt the above then i wouldnt let me BN's get to it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top