Red Tailed Shark Not Eating

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AngelOfDeath

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought a RTS.

it's not eating, i've tried blood worms and flakes, what should i do?

the light is relatively low in comparison to other tanks so i cant see how this would be a deterant

the tank is cycled, and perfectly healthy (16 gallon)

The fish is relatively small, It has nip marks on it, so it must have been dominated by other RTS at the pet shop

I bought a RTS.

it's not eating, i've tried blood worms and flakes, what should i do?

the light is relatively low in comparison to other tanks so i cant see how this would be a deterant

the tank is cycled, and perfectly healthy (16 gallon)

The fish is relatively small, It has nip marks on it, so it must have been dominated by other RTS at the pet shop
hmm id wait a few days,could be stressed out, just stick a bloodworm tablet in and leave it, it may eat in its own time,

hi there,

First and for most I will hope that in the near future you plan to upgrade in tank size to at least a 50 gallon. These fish get about 6-7 inches and he will dominate that tank once he's comfortable. It will out grow the tank in about 6 month to a year.

Next these fish like territories to establish so a nice small tunnel or cave will be needed to make him more comfortable.

He may just be uncomfortable in his surrounding if he is new. If he's not new try blanching a small piece of lettuce and putting it in there for him may get him to eat. Other food that may be enticing for him to eat are zucchini(blanched), earthworm flakes, shrimp flakes, shrimp pellets as well as frozen brine shrimp.

Another thing that can be done is feeding him at night until he is comfortable. You can use a pipette or turkey baster, even the small sucking bottle used to clean baby noses to suck up food and squirt them in his area for easier access will work.

Good Luck,

Tiger Lotus : )

If i read correctly, you are feeding him flakes and bloodworms, generally sharks, including the rtbs, are all classified as bottom dwellers, and that kinda goes for their food. Their mouths are pointed in a general downward direction, this is to eat food from the bottom of the tank. Generally, algea tablets or other "sinking food tablets" are best. Something that is easy to mix up and in my oppinion shouldve been told to you by ur lfs, but good on u for asking and now u kno:p

Murph

Most reactions

trending

Back