Red Tailed Black Shark Feeding

The Barbs (Odessa) can hold their own. I mean the Shark and the Barbs practically live together in a pile of cobbles, its just when it comes to feeding theirs a bit of banter between the two partys :) Sharks just like to chase things, mine is a little softy really :p

My tanks are both okay at the minute, im just waiting to plant my 200. I want more stocking but im not sure to be honest.

I'd like to keep Clown Loaches, but if I do upgrade it won't be a community tank, i'll be keeping the likes of Knife Fish & Angel Fish & A Big Ole Catfish!

James.

sick sounds mad! if it wasnt a comunity tank i would deffinatly want to go for archer fish they are awsome !

ahh once again i apear the ignorant fool. owell here goes. i have talked with the people at the local fish store about rehoming my RTBS and they are very reluctant to take it of me. so i am stuck with it at the present time. i will push the matter again when i am at the local fish store next week. and i deffinatly do put my animals intrests in front of mine i keep, breed and hand raise cockatiels, have a boarder kolie kelpy cross, chikens, horse, guini pigs ect ect and spend most of my time keeping them happy so if its in my fishes best intrests i will rehome it.

ps i do do alot of research now when stocking my fish tanks and am aware of the mistakes i have made.

kind regards liam m

Feel free to ask me or anyone on the forum for that matter before buying fish, if you are unsure. I do it all the time! Just think how many topics i'll be starting if I choose to upgrade!

If there is a CMC aquatics near you take the shark to them, I have taken fish to them before.
My other LFS even give me discount if I buy anything when I take a fish back :p

If you get a larger tank it will be easier to maintain, my 200 litre took me 2 months to get sorted whereas it took me 4 months to properly sort my 60 litre out.

James.

Yer I kinda live in Australia so yerp:p anyways I'll talk to the peeps at the lfs when I go In to see about selling them some of my baby bristle nose cats while were on the topic of how crap I am at Gish keeping :p my 30 gall curently had 2 golden gourami 2 upside down cats one tiger barb and of course my rtbs :) are all of these fish ok for a 30 gall??

Kind regards Liam m

30 gallons is barely do-able if she is the only fish in the tank but in a community setting I'd really like to see her in 40+ gallons.

That said, I don't think the smaller tank will be harming her too much. As she grows she'll need an upgrade, especially if she is with other fish, but at 9cm I think 30 gallons is fine. If she is stressed by anything it is likely to be having other fish in her space.

She seems plump and very colourful so I wouldn't worry that you don't see her feed often. Some are very stealthy and like to scavenge around the tank when they're not being watched as opposed to coming right over for food.

If she is active, colourful and a good shape after a year I doubt the tank is stressing her too much. Just keep open-minded about an upgrade as she hits 4-5 inches.

Interesting how you mention that she likes to chase, and kill the Tiger Barbs.
I had my RTBS in a community tank -and she loathed my Long Finned Rosy Barb with a passion.
I did rehome her as it was getting out of hand - she would have killed him in the end.
Very sad to see her go though - beautiful fish to keep. :huh:

My RTBS chased and killed a shoal of tiger barbs. That was when she was with my friend, though, who was keeping her in a 28 litre tank :angry:

hmm good point as she is perfectly healthy and happy atm im shure she can hang out till xmas :)
i will rehome her at the first sign of her becoming stressed or unhappy or if she hits 4-5 inches before then which i doubt. but it is possible so.... what size tank would you guys recomend for her and her tank mates??

dream stock list

1x RTBS
5x golden gourami
10x tiger barb
5x unpside down cats

what size tank should i be aiming for would a 4 foot sufice or should i be thinking bigger :p

kind regards liam m

ps thanks for the constructive critisism it can only help, and soz if i got a little grumpy last night it was kinda late over here :p

hmm good point as she is perfectly healthy and happy atm im shure she can hang out till xmas :)
i will rehome her at the first sign of her becoming stressed or unhappy or if she hits 4-5 inches before then which i doubt. but it is possible so.... what size tank would you guys recomend for her and her tank mates??

dream stock list

1x RTBS
5x golden gourami
10x tiger barb
5x unpside down cats

what size tank should i be aiming for would a 4 foot sufice or should i be thinking bigger :p

kind regards liam m

ps thanks for the constructive critisism it can only help, and soz if i got a little grumpy last night it was kinda late over here :p

I recommend my tank, Fluval Roma 200 or to go one further and really bring out the potential in your shark a Roma 240!

James

Well over here in the UK they are around £275-£325 (pending where they are from) which I think is around 500-600 Aussie Dollars. However it may be more/less over there due to availability. But heck if you have the space & the cash, why not go for the Roma 240? Great tank!

James.

Keep in mind, Gouramis are also territorial. So a big tank is needed to keep a lot of them, especially with a RTBS.

Also, Red Tailed Black Sharks, when healthy will usually be a dark black color and the red on the tail will be very noticeable. I have one in a 55 gallon Ive had for about 2 years and its almost 5" and it was 1" when I got it. It will eat anything I put in the tank and does get aggressive at times.

ive been looking into those roma tanks theyre so good! and my shark is jet black with a bright red tail so i think its pritty healthy :) ill definatly go the bigger tank money permitting :p thats a huge growth over 1 year :0

kind regards liam m

hey guys we have 5 tanks at home atm. so was thinking we have 3 goldfish and 5 danios in a 2foot cube if i swaped the stocks from my 30 gall with this 57 gall would that suit both the goldies and my tropical tank?

kind regards liam m :)

Most reactions

Back