Red Belllied Piranha Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

swordtail_king83

Reaction score
hi, I have a red bellied piranha sub-adult (approx. 6-7 inches long) he is the only fish in the tank. I have a large tank, well filtered. I was just wondering if it is safe to add a few juvenile piranhas (the young ones that have spots). I read online tat they prefer to shoal only with their own kind in a species tank. so if I add say 1 or 2 oung piranhas with him would that be safe?.i know the internet article said so but I wanna see what any of you think?. thanks.

Think you've already asked this? http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/412838-pirahna-question/

RBP's aren't really a shoaling fish - ie they won't act as a group. Instead it's best to think of them as tolerating their own species in a sufficiently large tank where each can have its own territory. When threatened they will group for protection.

I still wouldn't add juvies with a sub-adult. I would try and find similar sized fish.

i wouldnt add anything smaller than 4 inches, piranhas are very territorial and your current piranha right now thinks the entire tank belongs to him.....if you add anymore it would be best to remove the current piranha for about 20 mins and re-arrange the tank ornaments, then put all the piranhas back in at the same time.....but for 3 red bellies in my opinion you need at least a 75-100 gallon tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back