Red Bellied Pirhana

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cragz15

Reaction score
Can somebody give me some advice,,if i wanted a rbp,,would it be best to have one single fish,,,,or would 2 fish be okj in a 42 gallon uk size tank,,thank you

how much will you be feeding it?

Because they leave lots of waste, so you'll most likely need a filter 3 times the size of what you thought.

If its just for one a 42 gallon should be OK, they can only grow up to like.. 33 Centimeters? (12.5 Inches)

Hi mate.

Pygocentrus species (which are what red bellies are in) are shoaling fish, you need miniumum of 4 which require 75 us gallons. You can keep a solitary one but its likely to be shy and hide alot (Im guessing yours would be a tank raised red).

a 40 gallon long tank should be fine for a single red belly but can I suggest a serrasalmus species?

They have alot more personality than a single red would have and are great fun! Have a look through their profiles through google etc and see what you like the look of.

All piranhas WILL need an external filter than can filter the whole tank volume a MINIMUM of 4x an hour, preferably 6-7x or more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back