Rebuilding an old abandoned 29g

You should see the dog 💩💩💩💩! Most authentic!

I must say I’m mystified as to how my mighty fine 48” bubble level is questioned. She’s never misled me, not even once. She is bright yellow & I call her Old Faithful. Here she sits upon the table.
5CA26428-A0B8-42B4-A8CF-8CEFD0970859.jpeg

I think it might just be the perspective of the picture. Please don't be annoyed with us for being overcautious, Jenny. We've all heard horror stories about unlevel or too-weak tank stands. A few of us have lived them. 😱

Wow this thread is moving!

Jenny, the concern Slap and Badger have is not that the table isn't level, its that the entire surface isn't completely even. In other words that the surface isn't completely flat -- it might be warped or curved in some some spots, or have imperfections in some places. The table can be perfectly level but still be uneven. In the picture, for example, it looks as if the back left corner is slightly warped upwards -- but that might just be a result of the photo's perspective.

The concern is that any small imperfections might cause stress on the rims that support the tank, and with that much weight, that stress can cause the rims or the glass to crack.

is there a gap anywhere between the level and the table?
if there's a gap then the table is warped
No gaps. The tabletop is very thick, flat & worn. Very smooth. My hand glides over it like sheet metal (not warped metal that is 😹). It’s 1.5 “ thick & very heavy. It’s easily removable from the base. Matt wanted to roll it on a 4 wheel dolly, resting on the side, but there were too many corners to navigate, so we carried it. Little effort for Mr. Body Builder, but quite the work out for me.

The slope in this pic is from how I’m improperly tilting the iPad.😭😭😭
6D43CD94-C5F6-4209-BC03-E0CC29F6BB37.jpeg

I always put high density polystyrene under all my tanks. The only tanks I have ever seen crack a base are those without poly under them.
do you have flat bottomed tanks or ones elevated above the stand/etc on metal framing? The tech at Aqueon, manufacturer of my tank on order, (on a steel frame) assured me in a phone call, no underlayment required for this design.

I think it might just be the perspective of the picture. Please don't be annoyed with us for being overcautious, Jenny. We've all heard horror stories about unlevel or too-weak tank stands. A few of us have lived them. 😱
How thick of a foam panel would your recommend? I am seeing 4x8’ sheets at Lowe’s from .56” inch thick to ~2”. I believe it’s used for insulation. Is this the foam you mention?

Another terrible diagram to show what I mean with floating base tanks.

#2 is what Juwel said invalidated their warranty - the bottom pane of glass taking the weight of the aquarium with the trim not in contact with the stand.
But I don't know if #1 OK, where the trim is on top of the mat and there is a gap between the bottom pane and the mat.

Floating base tanks.png

is there a gap anywhere between the level and the table?
if there's a gap then the table is warped
The 48” bubble level does double duty as a straight edge. Gaps would be obvious
E2976535-3B55-4032-8FAC-03E38437905A.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow this thread is moving!

Jenny, the concern Slap and Badger have is not that the table isn't level, its that the entire surface isn't completely even. In other words that the surface isn't completely flat -- it might be warped or curved in some some spots, or have imperfections in some places. The table can be perfectly level but still be uneven. In the picture, for example, it looks as if the back left corner is slightly warped upwards -- but that might just be a result of the photo's perspective.

The concern is that any small imperfections might cause stress on the rims that support the tank, and with that much weight, that stress can cause the rims or the glass to crack.
Sorry for the thread hijack, Goldie 😬

do you have flat bottomed tanks or ones elevated above the stand/etc on metal framing? The tech at Aqueon, manufacturer of my tank on order, (on a steel frame) assured me in a phone call, no underlayment required for this design.
All tanks I place on polystyrene, I have always either built my own stands or used furniture so have never been able to guarantee that the surface is square. I just wouldn't take the risk not to do it.

Another terrible diagram to show what I mean with floating base tanks.

#2 is what Juwel said invalidated their warranty - the bottom pane of glass taking the weight of the aquarium with the trim not in contact with the stand.
But I don't know if #1 OK, where the trim is on top of the mat and there is a gap between the bottom pane and the mat.

View attachment 150149
I sit them as diagram 1. Remember this is not a soft mat but high density polystyrene that I use, it is very supportive but has a little give to allow the tank to sit flat.

Just as a side note when you build a stand, you don't want to screw the top to the base, just sit the top on the base and allow the two to float. If you screw the top down the whole stand becomes to ridged and that can cause problems.

Thanks, I’ll have to run this by the resident carpenter. He did modify a stand for a 30 G hi to fit a 40 G long, but I’m not sure how he attached the thick plank of plywood. We did this for the two axies who were later separated.

edit: Matt just said he simply rested the plywood on the stand.

It may be of interest to note the heavy oak antique tabletop is not secured to the base. It lifts off easily. Otherwise I don’t see how we could have moved it from one end of the house to the other. Very heavy!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back