Real Names An Option In The Profile?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Photomegus

Reaction score
Could there be an option for real names added to the profiles? Some user names are a sentence, created as a description rather than a username. Using someone's first name can be a lot easier and more friendly, optional of course...

Lewis

Well, my name is in my profile.

I think it is okay asa it is. We call eachother techen, wildbetta, eaglesaquarium, etc etc etc

If you want your name in your profile you should put it in your username.

Another worry is that younger members might put their whole name, which is a privacy issue.

I recommend, if you want to use your real name, putting it in your signature line like I do.

Hi Chad, Jelly,

Thanks for the responses.

The point was to make it optional. If you want people to know you as "CharlesWinchestertheThirdwhokeepsFish", then that's great; they know who you are and and how you're connected. If however you'd prefer to be called "Chas" in social chat, but find that "Chas" as a username has already been taken, maybe you could put it into your proifile.

It was no more than a suggestion. As there are only two people who are interested sufficiently to respond, I guess that's a 2/3 majority against...

Lewis

To answer your question, I suspect that there isn't an option to put real names as a field in your profile database record. The forum does not use bespoke software, it uses a pre-written system from IPBoard, and AFAIK, the facility isn't there.

But, as Chad says, there are plenty of places that you can squeeze it in, and the most obvious, and readily-seen, is your signature area,

Well, actually I can create custom profile fields if I really think they are worth the time and effort. In this case, sadly for Lewis, I don't. Reason being is that folks are generally not going to visit a profile to find a real name and remember that name. That's why I recommend it in the signature line as that's on every post and people can get used to seeing it.

That said, thanks for the suggestion. We do think about each one even when we don't decide to enact it.

Changed my mind...I added it.
If you edit your profile you should see the field. Once you fill it out then it will show up in your actual profile...if I did the edit right that is. Worked with mine though but as admin sometimes things work with mine and not others.

You can call me TTA. People who have known me a while on sites will often sometimes that to T. 
hehe.gif

the_lock_man said:
To answer your question, I suspect that there isn't an option to put real names as a field in your profile database record. The forum does not use bespoke software, it uses a pre-written system from IPBoard, and AFAIK, the facility isn't there.

But I could be completely wrong. Who knows?

the_lock_man said:

It appears you were but you'll aways be TLM to me!
smile.png

I just call everyone by the beggining of the letters in there name

examples:

Wildbetta is Wb
eaglesaquarium is ea
EllieJellyEllie is EJE

etc

Except tcamos, he is chad :p unless someone needs to talk to him and is new here, then he is tcamos

EllieJellyEllie said:
I just call everyone by the beggining of the letters in there name

Except tcamos, he is chad
tongue2.gif
unless someone needs to talk to him and is new here, then he is tcamos
So true! :)

Lunar Jetman said:

It appears you were but you'll aways be TLM to me!
smile.png

Awww, shucks....
wub.png

Apologies for being a party pooper but I don't think the new change is a good idea.
If you are an experienced internet user and you choose to use your real name with full knowledge of potential consequences then the sig was available and sufficient to do this.
By including a real name field in the profile we are encouraging new users to provide this information when they fill out their profile and I have seen many new users filling out this field whereas before they may not have thought to use their real name.
Bearing in mind that users of all ages use this website and for some it may be their first encounter with an internet forum, we are setting a precedent for some that providing your real name is normal or expected.  I think this is a bad idea.
Those who think that using a real name on the internet is harmless have never experienced first hand how it can be used against you and are often those at least risk of having it used so.
For the sake of those who are more vulnerable and not as familiar with the internet as the rest of us, I would recommend that this field should not be included in the profile.

I have my name both on my profile and siggy. No biggie. It's nice knowing and talking to some of you guys and gals via first name basis :D

As I said, those who believe there is no danger are usually men who have little to fear and can't see the danger to more vulnerable people including women and particularly girls who aren't experienced enough to be aware of the risks.
I can give you two examples where my name has been used to grief me and I can give you an example where a corporate employee and his family were terrorised after publicising his name in an effort to prove how safe it was.  Don't encourage others to risk enduring the same.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back