Ready for fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Aspen35

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I setup a new 20 Long yesterday, moving the filter from an established tank to the new one. Tested water this morning, results are as follows.
ammonia:0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10-15 ppm

I take it this means the tank is already cycled from the bacteria in the old filter? just want to know before adding fish. This leads into my next question.
what is the best way to move fish? I have guppies and Platys in a 10 gallon, I want to move them to the new tank. Assuming itā€™s safe, how should I go about safely acclimating them to the new conditions, with minimal stress? Thanks for any help.

How long have you been cycling the tank?

In terms of moving the fish, make sure the temperature is the same is a big thing. As for amount of fish, I would move 2 no more than 3 in at once since you donā€™t want to overload the bacteria and cause a spike in your ammonia or anything similar. Also, try not to do big water changes if your tank is new since when you remove the old water, you remove the bacteria present and add new non-bacteria water. Anyone else have anything?

How long have you been cycling the tank?

In terms of moving the fish, make sure the temperature is the same is a big thing. As for amount of fish, I would move 2 no more than 3 in at once since you donā€™t want to overload the bacteria and cause a spike in your ammonia or anything similar. Also, try not to do big water changes if your tank is new since when you remove the old water, you remove the bacteria present and add new non-bacteria water. Anyone else have anything?
I havenā€™t done anything to cycle except add the old filter.

Is your old filter from the 10 gallons tank?
Actually if you are reusing your old filter from your 10gallons tank, you can move them all immediately.
Most of the beneficial bacteria stays in the filter and substrate if you have substrate (sand or gravel) and not the water.

For acclimatizing, just make sure the water temperature is the same.
You don't really need the old tank water unless you haven't been changing your tank water frequently or unless the water gH, pH are too much different due to some substrate or driftwoods in your old tank .
Some substrates and rocks can increase your water GH whereas driftwoods will lower your water pH.
What do you have in your old tank?
Is there any substrate, rocks or driftwood?

Last edited:
Is your old filter from the 10 gallons tank?
Actually if you are reusing your old filter from your 10gallons tank, you can move them all immediately.
Most of the beneficial bacteria stays in the filter and substrate if you have substrate (sand or gravel) and not the water.

For acclimatizing, just make sure the water temperature is the same.
You don't really need the old tank water unless you haven't been changing your tank water frequently or unless the water gH, pH are too much different due to some substrate or driftwoods in your old tank .
Some substrates and rocks can increase your water GH whereas driftwoods will lower your water pH.
What do you have in your old tank?
Is there any substrate, rocks or driftwood?
Nothing but a terra cotta pot and a single amazon sword, itā€™s recovering from a goldfish attack. lol
Substrate is just regular gravel. Temps are the same, so I went ahead and added them in.
9AEBCC3E-147D-4DF8-BA79-C578667461AB.jpeg

they do seem to be hovering at the top, so hopefully they do alright.

I would monitor ammonia and nitrite for a few days just to make sure they stay at zero. I have upgraded tanks a couple of times using the old filter and never saw either of them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back