Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Re: water test results post cycling

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by steve001, May 19, 2019.

1. steve001

steve001 New Member

Hello, Everyone
    My first post! Got a 55 gallon, 2 hob Fluval 70's. Sicce voyager 2 powerhead, and an aerator that kicks well. I believe a 300 watt heater. Temp is at 78 degrees. Cycled tank.after 1 and 1/2 months. Has 20 for nitrate, o for nitrite, and looks to be possibly 20 for amonia. I have 2 very small Green Terrors. I feed them twice a day like a teaspoon full of food. Is that amonia level ok or is it to be a constant 0 like the nitrite? Just changed 20 % water before adding the fish.
    Thanks, Steve

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Ammonia and nitrite should always be on 0ppm. Nitrates should be kept under 20ppm.

If you ever get an ammonia or nitrite reading, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the levels are back to 0.

If you have an ammonia reading of 20ppm, the fish should be dead.

---------------------
    1 teaspoon of food twice a day is probably way too much for the fish. If you have problems with the filter (eg: ammonia or nitrite readings), then reduce the feeding to a small amount every couple of days. And do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding.
    *NB* Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

3. steve001

steve001 New Member

Thanks for the info. Yesyerday I vacuumed the gravel, thought it was clean, it wasnt. Did a 50% water change. Cleaned my filters with aquarium water. Dechlorinated the water b4 pouring in my tank. I was really suprised at what had accumulated in such a short time. Also found one of my snails died, sure that wasn't good sitting in the tank. I am going to check the amonia in the morning. I am definitely feeding every other day and once at that!