Re-Setting up tank

Fantast Bronson

Reaction score
I've just had a bad time in my tank. I'm a newbie and have made some mistakes regarding decor. I.e. a piece of bog wood that was not soacked before it got in the tank :( and I'm sure in other areas to!!!!!
Any way........ I have 4 Dwarf Guramies, 4 Gold Guramies, 4 Black Widows, 2 chinese alge eaters, 2 Platy, 1 male guppy and 2 female. It's a 28 uk gal. tank. I'm currentley struggeling with the ph 6,4 to 6,6 want it up to 7.0, but it's comming up slowley :) I bought a book to find out what spices goes well together, but it is a very confusing book :blink: . I was hoping that somebody could give me some pointers, any pointers, to what is a good setup and what fishis works well together. I like the guramies but I havent got any special prefs.I f they play jazz it would be appriciated B)
Thanks

I bought a book to find out what spices goes well together, but it is a very confusing book
I think parsley and thyme go well together :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist :*)
I'm not too good with fish combinations so i wouldn't like to give any wrong advice. From the sounds of it though you've got quite a few fish already, do you have room for more or were you thinking of trading some?

With your current fish you have a good combination for a nice peacful community tank However basically all your fish are middle - top fish so you will need some bottom feeders otherwise your tank will start to look like a chinese kitchen very soon....

I suggest maybe getting a bristlenose catfish (even a baby one can clean huge tanks in a matter of days). How about a small group of corydoryas? 3 would be nice.

However, before thinking about getting more fish I suggest you buy yourself a proper water testing kit if you dont have one already (£19.99) and test all the parameters of the water and only add more fish when the levels are fine. Adding more fish will only make the situation worse.

Hope this helps, and remember. The best kind of research you can do is on forums like this one. Lots of peoples opinions and plenty of questions already asked makes for a comprehensive database of fish knowledge :). Just remember, the search button (top right) is your FRIEND!

Ben

Why the struggle to get the PH tp 7.0? What is the PH out of your tap? What is the PH at your LFS. Ph is usually better left alone unless it is totally absurd coming out of the tap. Most LFS in you rarea would have the same PH as you so most fish you buy would already be acclimated to thos conditions. So if you can get the info then you may not have to worry about PH at all. About the only time i give this much concern is when trying to breed fish that absolutely must have specific PH levels in the tank. HTH keep us posted.

P.S. I agree you need some bottom fish for that tank. :)

bunjiweb said:
I suggest maybe getting a bristlenose catfish (even a baby one can clean huge tanks in a matter of days). How about a small group of corydoryas? 3 would be nice.
As I have to Chinese alge eaters would I need more at the bottom of the tank?

clutterydrawer said:
Ummm....fantast bronson did you say you wanted your fish to play jazz?? :blink:
No.......... They play Jazz 8) . And need 1 or 2 that can keep the rythem going. A nice bass or kit player would do just fine :whistle:

SirMinion said:
Are you aware that bogwood will lower your pH? if you want it to go up, remove your bogwood.
Yes I am now :) Is there an other wood sort I could use instead of Bog Wood? U see I still have a small piece in the tank, but I like the wood in the tank and my ph is 6.6 so just on the low side, but its ok ish. Any thing I could do that is no cemical to raise the ph just a couple of degrees?

Most reactions

Back