Ram - Sexing Advice

MadAsToast

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping someone might be able to help, i bought a pair of Rams from my LFS, i asked for a male and female, he said they were a little too young to sex, but would try.

I've read up alot on Rams, and the sexing difference is The female Ram is smaller, and has a reddish belly and a shortened second dorsal ray.

I've posted some pictures here:

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...showtopic=27914

I'm unfortunately colour blind, so can't tell if they have a reddish belly, but a friend has told me they both have, as far as i can see they look identical.

If these photo's are inconclusive, i can add more, if i know what "angle" to get

Have i got a pair of the same sex, and if so are they both male or female?

If as I believe i have two females, what would be my best option, return one of the females, or add a male to them?

Thanks for any help in advance

MadAsToast

Hi,

Okay, you have definetly got two females, I would go straight back to the fish shop and get two males. They should soon pair up and your tank is easily big enough to accomodate two pairs.

I live in Worcester and have never gone to that fish shop, would you recommend it ?

Also, how big are the rams ? they look a decent size.

Cheers

Apisto

Hi there,

Cheers for the advice, the LFS is pretty good (except for sexing of young Rams!!)
The rams are about 1.5" and are in excellent health.

In my opinion i would recommend the LFS, not particularly large, but they always have a good selection of Tropical fish, and bit of Coldwater, but no Marine, They do have a largish pond & koi selection.

Cheers

Most reactions

Back