Rainbow Sharks And Snails?

cuticom

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey,
I have a 3" Rainbow Shark who I'm trying to work out companions for. The tank does have a few pondsnails in it which spontaneously appeared after I left some Elodea in there overnight LOL, but I cant tell if the shark eats them or not.

I'd really like to get what our lfs terms "mystery"snails to go with him. I "think" the snails are some type of apple snail, but am looking around on the net to confirm. Anyway would my shark nip at or try to eat the snail? Theres no other fish in the tank, just Kelvin. I'd probably only get a single snail but thought I'd check before I get one, as i have no other tank I could put him (my gouramis would definately make a meal of a snail)

The snail is Pomacea bridgesi, also called the Spike topped apple snail or the golden mystery snail

Emma

I have no experience with snails but I know that my Rainbow pretty much asserted himself as ruler from day one. Inside of a week he had decimated a Tiger Barb, and was harrassing a Pictus Catfish until the catfish went carpet surfing while I was away on my honeymoon. I don't have evidence that the Pictus was chased out, but I have my suspicions. Since he's cleared the tank of all but a common Pleco, it's become a very quiet, calm tank. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I've only got about a year into this hobby so far.

Assuming rainbows have the samebasic feeding style/taste as red tails the snails should be fine, more so since if they (snails) are hasseled they can withdraw into the shell

thats weird because my rainbow sharks are always happy and iv never seen them being agressive to any fish. i thought mine would eat snails that i got from feeding my catfish grass shrimp but they didnt if any thing they prefer to eat allgy and the veggies i feed ma plecs. and by the way if u wana get rid of the snails buy a few clown loaches those thins will level the snailes over night and theyll grow fast eating they little slimy suckers

I have exactly the same thing going on. I have had to put my shark in solitary confinement due to his behaviour which is most unfortuante. It's a big headache. :(

Hey,
I have a 3" Rainbow Shark who I'm trying to work out companions for. The tank does have a few pondsnails in it which spontaneously appeared after I left some Elodea in there overnight LOL, but I cant tell if the shark eats them or not.

I'd really like to get what our lfs terms "mystery"snails to go with him. I "think" the snails are some type of apple snail, but am looking around on the net to confirm. Anyway would my shark nip at or try to eat the snail? Theres no other fish in the tank, just Kelvin. I'd probably only get a single snail but thought I'd check before I get one, as i have no other tank I could put him (my gouramis would definately make a meal of a snail)

The snail is Pomacea bridgesi, also called the Spike topped apple snail or the golden mystery snail

Emma
I have one rainbow shark in a 60 gallon. I needed some thing that would eat the algae and I could not find anything compatible. I read snails would be good so I got 5 of them. The shark immediately went after them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back