Rainbow shark tank size

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ocf_22

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a good tank size for a rainbow shark? whats the minimum if I keep them with 12 rummy-nose tetras? I am looking to get a nano tank but a 55 gallon is just much too expensive. Any suggestions would go a long way like tank mates, solutions, similar species that would require a smaller tank.

First off keep in mind that these beasties, while passive in the wild, can become aggressive in an aquarium so care has to be made as to tank mates.

These fish are probably too large for even a 50 gallon tank as mature size averages 6 inches and sometimes up to 8 inches. For a pair you would want at least a 75 gallon tank.

Here is a short list of fish to NEVER have as tank mates:
A few acceptable tank mates:
  • Rasboras
  • Danios
  • Gouramis
  • Loaches (this can be dicey if you have a particularly aggressive rainbow shark but it’s usually fine)
  • Rainbowfish
I don't think this is a fish that you want.

As to possible other possible fish instead of the rainbow I am totally enamored with Panda Garras. While the coloring is different they have the same basic body type and are small enough when mature for a 20-30 gallon nano tank only reaching 3.5 inches max. when mature although some resources list a max. size of 2.5-3 inches.. While they are OK solo they do best in a small group of 3-4 as they are total clowns and like to play. They are also pretty human friendly and I often have a couple latch onto my hand when working in my tank. The will eat just about anything but DO need a mix of veggie and protein. They are great for algae control and it is reported that they will even eat black beard algae. They also will eat bio film.

Mine are not yet totally mature but here is one on my hand.
Panda Garra on hand-small.jpg

Here is a better shot for colors. Colors can vary between fish but this is probably average.
panda-garra-fish-hanging-on-leaves.jpg

Rainbow sharks are mean, grumpy, territorial, sneaky and kind of nice to look at if they are alone in their tank with no other fish. Since they only really get active after dark, and that minimally, you could have a 3 foot tank for one.
But why?

Despite what I’ve read about rainbow sharks, my shark’s tank mates are cichlids: Electric Yellow, Yellow Tail Acei, Pearl of Likoma, Eureka Red Peacock.

The cichlids chase one another occasionally but leave the shark alone. The shark leave the cichlids alone, swims among the cichlids and is quite active during the day.

Having said that, if I were to start again would I have the shark? No, I wouldn’t. And I would never have 2 sharks in the same tank, no matter how big or how long the tank is.

Note that the sharks are good tank mates with all tropical fish when young, but it won’t take long before they become aggressive. Experiment if you wish, but be prepared to move it out to its own tank, and it won't swim much when alone.

Can anybody recommend a good tank size for a rainbow shark? whats the minimum if I keep them with 12 rummy-nose tetras? I am looking to get a nano tank but a 55 gallon is just much too expensive. Any suggestions would go a long way like tank mates, solutions, similar species that would require a smaller tank.

55 gallons would be the minimum for ONE rainbow shark on its own, NO tankmates. If you can't afford a tank big enough for the species of fish that you want to keep, then you shouldn't be keeping that species. Research, research, research!!!! Size, temperament, and preferred parameters are also important to research to make sure tankmates are compatible, otherwise, you'll just have fish dying all the time.

As others have mentioned, rainbow sharks are not good tankmates due to how big and aggressive they get. Rainbow sharks are also most active at night, so good luck seeing it during the day. I think you may want to rethink your stocking plan..

Hi and welcome to the forum... :hi:
Just know that those rummynose tetras need a tank with length.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back