Rainbow Options

anexperiment

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I’m finishing up stocking a 14g cube tank that is very heavily planted (floating plants included) with stable parameters. Filter capacity is for a 20gal. currently have 7 CPDs and 3 Stone Catfish. I don’t think I have the space for two schools of rainbows, but I’m really torn between the threadfins and the Gertrude’s. Obviously a full school is preferable, but my question is could I do a trio of threadfins and a trio of Gertrude’s or should I just stick to 6/7 threadfins? How much of an impact would doing two trios instead have on stress levels and coloration? Are they similar enough that they would possibly loosely school? Could I fit more than a trio of each? Both are difficult to find in my area so that’s not really a factor cause I’ll probably have to ask one of my LFS to special order them for me regardless.

Thank you in advance!!

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Hi, there. I like your forum name. :)

I'm not sure about threadfins or Gertrudes in a 14g. Pretty sure it's too small for threadfins; they are small but quite lively. I had some in a 150g and they were all over the place. Some further research might be in order before you commit--it's sad to have fish in a tank that's too small for them.

That said, bigger schools are almost always better with the rainbow clan. If it were me, though, I'd add about 15 more CPDs or a nice school of phoenix rasboras to keep them company. :)

T

OP
OP
A

anexperiment

Reaction score
Hi, there. I like your forum name. :)

I'm not sure about threadfins or Gertrudes in a 14g. Pretty sure it's too small for threadfins; they are small but quite lively. I had some in a 150g and they were all over the place. Some further research might be in order before you commit--it's sad to have fish in a tank that's too small for them.

That said, bigger schools are almost always better with the rainbow clan. If it were me, though, I'd add about 15 more CPDs or a nice school of phoenix rasboras to keep them company. :)

T
Thank you! Do you know if the Gertrude’s rainbows are at all less active? The way I have the tank set up there’s a ton of free swimming space with hiding areas around the edges and bottom. It’s more vertical space than horizontal though so I totally can see how that could be an issue for the threadfins. I appreciate your response! I’ve got a couple tanks but this is my first foray into rainbows so I’m a little less familiar with their behavior and your personal experience is definitely super helpful for putting into practice what I’ve read :)

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I've never kept gerturdes, so hopefully someone else will chime in. Most active fish need more horizontal space than vertical. That's why I don't really like tall tanks unless I'm building a paludariums or something.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online