Rainbow fish & Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm getting some rainbow fish for my 55 gallon (blue dwarf neons) and I'm thinking of what else I'd like to get. I was thinking of some type of gourami possibly some pearl gouramis. I'm wondering if Rainbow fish and Gouramis are compatible?? :unsure:

If not what would be another option? I'm looking for a bigger peaceful/community fish like 1-3 big fish to be the main attraction.

they should be great with eachother...gouramis are usually incompatible with each other or fish that look similar...IME with rainbows, they are very docile so you don't have to worry about them being aggressive

Most Gouramis should be okay. Of course, you couldn't keep like a Osphronemus Goramy (Giant Gourami) because the Rainbows might get eaten...but basically any community Gourami should be fine. :)

Elisabeth83 said:
So any type of gourami will work with them?
[snapback]852011[/snapback]​

I've actually seen those up close :eek: The shop I'll be getting the rainbows from owns 2 of them in a huge tank with a bunch of other oddballs like huge catfish!!

I'm going to ask here because the gourami section can be really empty and slow. Is it best to keep only 1 gourami per tank or best to keep 1 male per 2 females? Or maybe just females?

If nobody knows here I'll go ask in the gourami section..I'm just not sure when it will be answered there :p

I have two pearl gouramis (male and female) with five rainbow fish. Everyone gets along quite well!

@elizabeth83: i keep bosmani and red rainbows with a golden gourami pair and keep my neon blue rainbows with a blue gourami. They all get along well.

With gourami's in my limited experience it is best to either keep a pair (male and female) or just a single specimen, i had three golden gouramis two females and one male the male and one female teamed up and almost killed the other female. i had to nurse her back to health and then relocated her to a friends aquarium where shes doing great.
my blue gourami (female) schools with the rainbows and have never shown any agression towards them.

yeah,i have 2 rainbows in with 4 dwarf gouramies.2 red and 2 blue.no probs at all

Great! I'm glad to hear then will work :thumbs: I think I'm going to get a male and female pearl gourami then :D My lfs has some really nice big ones. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back