Rabbuts Slow Burner

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rabbut

I don't bite, all that often...
Reaction score
Well, it's gone quiet on my Nano Thread, but I've got new stock. I guess I should get the camera out and update that thread...

Anyhow. As my addiction to Marines has taken hold over the last few months, I've gradually been loosing interest in my FW fish :sad: I've found myself starting to look at the Discus tank as a potential Marine tank. Well last night, I finally decided to approach my Parents about the idea. Surprisingly, they are fairly happy for me to go ahead with it. So, I have a 400l tank to play with (I used to think it was 335l, but this board's calculator and a fish stocking calculator say no...), along with a sump that I've yet to build, around 200l volume, so 600l in total :hyper: So, just to check I'm not forgetting anything obvious in my excitement, here is the current spec ATM, for a ULNS "all bells and whistles" set-up...

50KG of live rock
Two of my DIY skimmers, or I may stretch to buying one (I'm a tight Yorkshire bloke, what can I say)
Magdrive 12 for the return from the sump (1200GPH)
Two Tunze 6065 for the main tank flow
Maxijet MP1200 for the reactors feed
DIY Zeovit reactor
DIY Phosban reactor
DIY (possibly, this I may have to buy) Calcium reactor
Two 300W heaters
About 25KG of Reef Crystals salt for the initial fill :crazy:
DIY LED lights, containing 120 3W LED's...
One Superfish Airflow 4 air pump, for the skimmers...
DIY balling dosing system for Mg, using computer control from the lights and a peristaltic dosing pump...
Pressurised plant CO2 system for the Calcium reactor
The usual test kits for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Alk, Mg, Ca and Phosphate and a Refractometer
50 GPD RO unit
Ball valves X3
Water butt - 200l. capacity for water mixing

In the sump will be the skimmers, heaters and reactors already mentioned, along with a remote DSB, Reforgium and possibly some extra LR. The Reforgium will also be LED lit, using about 15-30 3W LED's

So, what did I forget?

Thanks for reading
Rabbut

Whoah! Im going to be following this non stop. Carnt wait to see this develop.

YF

At first glance I cannot see anything you have forgotten.

Rabutt with no Discus, seems the end of an era there my friend, but I guess the bug bites us all at some point or other.

Good Luck, will follow the progress closely.

Nice you going with 60 White and 60 Blue LEDs or 90 White LEDs and 30 Blues?

I decided to get LEDs without stars on mine to save a load of cash and got them from UK ;)

Ah, kwlkwl, meant to be trickier to solder like that though... What are you using to mount yours to your heat sink? I'm going all white over the reforgium, but 90 white and 30 blue over the display this time I think... May go something more random like 80-40 or summat, still deciding on that...

All the best
Rabbut

Actually, yes, I do need an RO unit, thanks for reminding me :lol: ATM, I'm getting water though my dad's work, but they aren't going to be able to supply any where near that amount of water for me :no:

The current tank is a nano, 70l ;)

Well, when I have finalised plans, I'll put them to the folks, and get final approval, or tweak them on anything they don't like. All being well, I'll start selling my tropical stock in a week or two's time, to have an empty tank in about a month, when I should have a pre-assembled cabinet and possibly sump to come in, as I take the display out to be re-seams and modified. After that, it will slow down (or possibly slow before that if Uni starts before I get that far) as I won't have the time or funds to progress until the next holiday. It will be either Christmas or next summer that it gets filled up as salt for the first time :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

I am using 30mm southbridge heatsinks with adhesive yip trickier to solder but at £2 a LED is a good price ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back