Quiet internal filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chigwellhammer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Any suggestions for an internal filter that is quite quiet?

It’s for a 120l tank.

I have had my eyes on the Eheim pickup 160 if anyone can review this?

Thanks,

Fluval and Rena internal power filters used to be pretty good. No idea how good they are now.

I used an AquaClear powerhead with a Quick Filter attachment. I removed the stupid foam insert & plastic cage, and replaced it with a round/ cylindrical sponge from a different brand of internal power filter.

I use an Eheim Biopower and that is pretty quiet. It sometimes gets a bit noisy after a water change but that's just due to trapped air and lifting it off the bracket and tilting it gets rid of the air.
I've never used a Pickup so I can't comment on that, I'm afraid.

You want to be aware of the current produced by whichever filter as this impacts fish. If the fish are quiet forest species then a sponge filter connected to an air pump may be all you need. In my cory tank and loach tank I use the Fluval Quiet Flow...and it is quiet. Here's a link to the one suited for 30 gallons. Again depending upon the intended fish, a smaller version may be suitable, it comes (here anyway) in four sizes. I use the 40g largest in my 40g cory tank, and the 20g in my 33g loach tank.
https://www.jlaquatics.com/aqueon-quietflow-internal-power-filter-at30.html

I should also mention that the Eheim Biopower, and the similar Aquaball (same pumps, different media) have a flow rate adjuster so the water current can be turned down if necessary for the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back