Questions About Buying Driftwood

Winterlily

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
355
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NY, USA
Just a few questions as I get ready to finally choose the decor for my 55 gallon. Do I understand it right that regular driftwood will have to be pre-soaked and then weighted down for a while in the aquarium? And, it will likely leech tannins and turn the water tea-colored?

What about "Malaysian driftwood" - is it true that it doesn't needed weighing down? Does it also turn the water color?

When buying this stuff, my LFS sells it right from their display tanks - so it's in there with their fish already. I'm a bit leery of that (I mean, I wouldn't buy a fish and dump him right in with my others - I'd QT him first - is it safe to put wood right in??), but perhaps I'm being too paranoid here?

If I buy it online, I can get almost any kind - are any kinds of wood better than others, or less likely to turn the water color?

What's the difference between driftwood from rivers/lakes and that from oceans? Either one preferable? If I buy one of those from someone who collected it and just washed it off, what do I need to do, if anything, to clean it before putting it in my aquarium?

Loads of questions, I know - thanks so much!
 
It is good to ask! I dont know too much on driftwood myself just bits and pieces and thoughts.

If you are unsure on any driftwood that you get you can boil it to get things like the tannins (brown stuff that may or may not leech off into the water) or put in a container in water and change daily until the water runs clear.

Just my thoughts on this one, but wood from the ocean may hold a lot of salt content in the wood itself which could POSSIBLY not sure raise the salinity of your tank? (Anyone?)

Most LFS should sell addable wood dried from my own experience, from the tanks there are pros and cons. I would think to boil it would be good as not sure what you could be carrying from a live tank, the good thing is it is already soaked so shouldnt affect the balance of the tank too much. Tannins arent harmful btw as far as i am aware just turns the water brownish.

Hopefully someone with more understanding will come along :)
 
Buying 'ready soaked' out of LFS tanks is great - it means a lot of the tanins whill have already leeched out, (although personally I like the tanin look)

If you buy like that treat it like a fish - quarentine technically but you don't need to have it in a spare tank - I usually just run wood through the dishwasher (no soap LOL) on the hottest cycle 2 or 3 times which gets rid of nasties, or just boil it for a while.

Even after that give it a good check for snails/snail eggs (they look like clear jelly with specks in) as I've had some survive on boiled wood before! A tooth brush is good for scrubbing them off.

Best to look for Mopani or Bogwood rather than driftwood - if you have/plan to have plecs go for bogwood as they do actually graze on the wood itself (don't worry - take years for them to eat a whole piece)

Unsoaked wood does colour the water but tanins are actually good for many fish - it's us fish keepers that tend not to like looking at orange tinted water.
 
I have used Mopani Driftwood for a long time. No need to weigh it down as it will sink immediatly. I do however boil mine before I add it to my tank and i use a toothbrush to get anything loose off it before I add it.
Thats about it, never had a problem with any of my driftwood from Mopani and thats all I use
 
Well, I went to great LFS yesterday and got a bunch of wood. I am still unclear of what kind of wood it is. It's not driftwood - harder than that, very dark brown with lots and lots of ridges on one side and the other side fairly smooth and a creamy tan color with sort of ribbons of brown running through. Gorgeous. I did ask what kind of wood it was, but he asked someone else, then told me Swahili something or other. Didn't sound right to me, so I'm guessing he heard the answer wrong. I'll call tomorrow and ask again. :blush:

Anyhow, I got one real small piece for my 5.5 gallon, and that I did boil. Not for long enough though I guess - just about, oh, 1/2 hour maybe. (Just read somewhere on here that I should've boiled it for 2 hours!) It turned the boiling water a strong, strong tea color. I dumped it and started again with clear water. I can't really tell yet if it's coloring the tank - I've got a not-great light on there at the moment. I think it might be a bit. I might add the charcoal back in for a few days. But, if you say the tannins are good for the fish.......

I would like to boil each piece before putting it in, but the thing is, the pieces for the 55 gal are HUGE - bigger across than my stove is. :lol:

Dishwasher? Huh. Never though of that. The tannins won't discolor the inside, will they? I really am concerned about the big pieces and how to clean/sterilize them...
 
Dishwasher will be fine just make sure there is no soap and put the wood through 2-3 times.

Sounds like Mopani wood.

Water changes will help if the tanins get too much for you - really it is up to you, I like the tanin look as it seems more natural but some people like clear water. It you have a lot of patience you can soak it in a bucket for a few weeks changing the water daily to get rid of the tanins but I've never bothered.
 
i soaked my wood for a month in a bucket with daily water changes till it was almost clear and it still leaks tannins but i change 20-30% of water every week
fish not bothered by tannins at all
i think it makes the water more natural looking
 
Well, called the store to check what the wood is and they said "Swahala Wood," which I understand from looking it up online is what Mopani used to be called. :)

And yes... would love to soak it for a week or two - but the pieces are too big! I'd only be able to get about half of a piece into a bucket.

I understand Purigen will take the tannins out of the water really quickly, but I've a concern about Purigen messing with my bacteria colony. I have a seperate thread about that - think I'm gonna have to bump it.

Anyhow! It's Mopani. Gorgeous stuff!
 
If you have an extra bath tub you can fill that up and soak it in there. That is what I had to do with a piece I had in my pond.
 
Ooo, that's a great idea. Unfortunately not doable here, but I shall remember it for when I move to a bigger place!
 
If you don't like the look of tannins.... carbon and lots and lots of water changes is going to be your best bet.
I personally don't mind the tannin look, but to each their own :D It won't hurt the fish at all though if you decide you don't mind the colored water.
 
I actually don't mind the tannin look so much, but I do prefer it clear.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top