What's new

Question About Submersible Heaters And The Fluval Spec V Tank (Also Wa

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

gale

Fish Herder
Reaction score
How "submerged" can the heater be? Does the top part where the cord comes out have to be above the water or does it matter? This heater has a turn-y thing to adjust the temperature. I have the Aqua Clear 25W heater shown here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MNJMNQ/

My other question is for fluval spec v owners. That separate section where the filter goes in on the side. Those parts are supposed to have the same level of water as the rest of the tank, correct? I had to pour water in there to get it to the same level. I have read that some people put their heater in that part so I'm guessing it is okay for it to be full of water?
We are just getting ready to start our fishless cycle. 
cool1.gif

eta: one more. I have novaqua/amquel for water conditioner. If I put just under 5 gallons in the tank, is it okay to still use the amount for 5 gallons? 

Yeah would have it under water.it doesn't have to be vertical it can go in horizontal also.
Not sure about the tank you are talking about.what are you adding to it.

Covered in water in compartment looks fine if you have space for your filter media too.

just to add - with heaters check the instructions. Some heaters need to remain upright or diagonal, other can go any way. It's always best to check the instruction book for the manufacturers recommendations.

I have a little internal Hydor in my fry tank and the glass part is submerged but the plastic bit at the top (where the thermometer is) is out of the water. Purely because my fry tank is so small that if I pushed the heater right under the water the bottom would be touching the sand and that's not a good idea. From what I understand they can break if you do this

I didn't realize the instructions were inside the folded card that the heater was packaged on. I took that out and opened it up and it shows the heater fully submerged. The ways to avoid were outside the tank (LOL), laying horizontally, directly on the sand, and in the front (because you can't see the light, I guess). It says to disconnect the plug before putting hands in the water but I'm guessing most don't do that. I'll probably put everything on a power strip so the whole thing can be switched off at once without messing with plugs over and over. 

my Dad shouts at me if I put my hands in the tank without switching everything off. My attitude ... if there was a problem with the equipment the fish would all be floating belly up!

That said, all my electrical equipment is on the outside on my 4 footer. My little fry tank just has the heater inside but everything is plugged into a surge and spike protector extention lead so hopefully it's as safe as it can be :)

My son is currently training to be an electrician and I recently asked him about the danger from electric shocks in tanks, and how the fish would be affected. He said that faulty heaters or filters won't harm the fish because they are not earthed, in the same way that birds are not harmed by sitting on overhead electric cables. Humans with their hands in the tank and their feet on the floor are earthed. But faulty tank equipment shouldn't kill us because all submersible equipment must be IP6 rated which means they have a built in transformer to reduce the voltage or current (I can't remember which it was that he said
blush.png
) and all you should get is an electric shock, which is bad enough. Though fish keepers with pacemakers would be in trouble. He then went on to say that he would not put his hands into a tank of water containing suspect electrical equipment, he'd get his testing equipment out and use that first.
He also commented that most injuries from electric shocks come about from falling off ladders etc rather than the shock itself.

I did once get a shock from a faulty filter although it was out of the tank and sat on the kitchen drainer at the time. It had been playing me up and it was plugged in. I just touched it with the tip of my finger and *wham* ... wow that hurt. I unplugged it right away and threw it in the bin.

I think to be safe we'll just switch off the power strip. So that means I need to go get a power strip. :p

No, sorry I mean.. a heater lol. Darn my bad.

ah okay. This heater does fit into that little area but I don't mind if it doesn't. In my daughter's tank we put the heater in the main part for now. But the water is holding at 80 without the heater so we aren't using it for now. 

Yeah, I have it in there and it hardly turns on bc my water is always perfect temp. I guess it's a just in case, but maybe in the winter i will need it i'm not sure. It doesnt hurt to just leave it in there, if the water is always perfect temps, it wont turn on anyways.

What did you have in mind to put in the tank? and how is the cycle going for you?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back