Question about pond plants in Texas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a customer who is interested in purchasing plants for their pond.
Here is their message:
"Can you help me put together many plants for my large pond. At first I had frogs. I threw in 3 sick looking goldfish 3 mo ago. I now have over 40. I need plants to take out nitrogens and whatever else has been added. We’re not moving, unless I add water.
Texas gets both extremes, heat and cold. We do have a cover that allows sun and keeps us warmer in the winter, not as hot in the summer months.
I really need your help. I just noticed 100’s of tadpoles… it’s looks like my goldfish breed 3-4 times in the past 3 mo."
Ponds are not my forte, so I would appreciate some suggestions of plants that would work well for this situation.
Thanks in advance.

Anything that grows in an aquarium can be grown in a pond. You can also get marsh plants (reeds & rushes) that have their roots in water and the leaves out of water.

They might also want to get a water pump and filter to help keep the water clean and oxygenated. Filters can be a block of sponge on the intake of the pump, or an external filter like a plastic rubbish bin (food grade container) filled with sponge and water is pumped into the container, flows through the media, and drains out the bottom back into the pond.

I had floating plants in my pond. Water Hyacinth, Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes), Frogbit. I even had Water Sprite do fairly well. These all die back/off in winter, if it is cold enough as it is here. But next spring, I took out some plants from the tanks and away they went.

Hello connor. I keep Dwarf Water Lettuce and and Anacharis in my backyard tank. The Lettuce typically dies back in the colder weather, but the Anacharis is fine all year. In the warmer places, both should grow all year.

10 Tanks (now 11)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back