Question about how much Ammonia is needed

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
When I was cycling my 5 gallon for just a single betta, at least 2 people suggested an ammonia dose equalling only 1 ppm. I am currently about to start cycling a 10 gallon (I'm putting it together today! Yay! Some decor will need to be changed as what I'd hoped to use just isn't appropriate for a betta so I'll be picking up some more things Wed or Thurs. Want to start this baby up, though! If I have to pump out the water long enough to arrange and then put it back in, I will. But let's get this party started, baby!)

In the 10 gallon will be 1 betta and 2 African dwarf frogs.* With that stock in mind, how much ammonia should I use to cycle the tank? I guess it has to do with your tank being ready for the amount of ammonia coming in from the incoming stock? I'd appreciate your help! Thanks.

* I KNOW a lot of people say not to use dwarf frogs with bettas but a) I did it with zero problems in college in a five gallon and b) I have been doing a LOT of researching on how to safely and sanely keep frogs with bettas. (Not CLAWED frog, but dwarf). How to do feedings so that the betta doesn't eat their food, especially. As well as establish the frogs first, and then add the betta. He won't feel like he has invaders in his home. I just don't like shrimp, and don't really want another fish that could have issues with my betta, aren't pretty, or have a different diet but it's something he would like, too. I know. I am picky. Not to mention I just love those little frogs!

For one betta and two frogs, 1 ppm is probably also enough, but if you want to be over cautious you use 2 ppm as the main dose.

I once put a betta and 2 frogs in a 25 litre tank, but one of the frogs mistook the betta's tail for food and clamped onto it. I moved the frogs into my quarantine tank but the betta lost part of his tail to finrot. Something to watch out for.

For one betta and two frogs, 1 ppm is probably also enough, but if you want to be over cautious you use 2 ppm as the main dose.

I once put a betta and 2 frogs in a 25 litre tank, but one of the frogs mistook the betta's tail for food and clamped onto it. I moved the frogs into my quarantine tank but the betta lost part of his tail to finrot. Something to watch out for.
I'll be careful. I have a spare 5 gallon I got first for 5 bucks... was originally going to clean it and its filter up and sell at profit but had decided to keeep it as a back up... just in case. It will be cramped with three tanks but the only thing I'd HAVE to get is another adjustable heater. And one of the new/used tanks came with one you do not adjust so it would buy me time to get a proper one. I have a small sponge filter going in my 5 gallon now which I'll move to the 10, (I got it for this reason, to seed new tanks or at least help) so auto bio filter for a quarantine/new tank. I'm all set just in case. Thanks for the concern. I just sat down to tea and a cocker laprug but will add the ammonia when I get up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back