Question About Ammonia Remover

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishman/ashley

Reaction score
ammonia remover can it be placed so that the ammonia can hit the media first then hit the remover so that bacteria can grow and form with out letting more enter the tank ? just a quick question for fish cycling thank you

I would do small water changes as needed. What is the current ammonia concentration? What fish are in?

If you end up using an ammonia removing media, yes, having the water pass through it after the biomedia is a great idea.

it is already cycled ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 .......... i was just wondering cuss i read on never to use it but if you had read the filter instructions if you allow the water to flow thu the media and catch theammonia at last stage surly it will keep ammonia at a good level and still allow bacteria to grow :D

oh i have in there now 6 platies 3 silver sharks a plec a ghost night fish 2 penguin tetra and one neon tetra not keen on the tetras so will not buy any more my ghost night fish will eat them anyway lol

moved the guppys to my smaller tank they would not leave the platies alone

Don't worry about the ammonia remover. It won't last for long anyway and need to be replaced, but it doesn't really do anything beneficial 99% of the time. Keep carbon available for removing meds, etc. But, don't use it all the time, there really is no reason to add it. Of course the manufacturer is going to tell you to use it. They know its effectiveness quickly diminishes and that you will need to buy replacements. The truth is that there is no need to do that! Filter media can (and should) be used until it starts to disintegrate! Once that happens, get some new stuff, and put it in the filter in back of the mature stuff. Eventually the bacteria will start to colonize the new media and you can slowly start to remove the old stuff. This will give the new media enough time to develop their new bacteria colonies, before they need to take on the full bioload. :good:

You do not need to use ammonia removing media in a cycled aquarium.

On the other hand, you should improve your stocking by increasing school sizes, and making sure you have a big enough aquarium for silver sharks and knife fish.

The only use for ammonia remover like that is really in bags/buckets when transporting fish.

it is simply a idea when cycling a tank not to use in my own im thinking next time i do a cycle............................. i have a 4 ft 175 litter tank i will not get more night fish as they dont do well togeather from what i read he has his own pipe to hide in he comes out at night and feeds well trying to tame him the silver sharks are happy just the three of them they stay togeather show no sighns of stress

and as to the tetras i will not get no more of them

thanks for your input guys

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back