Question About Amano Shrimps

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fremlin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have never kept these before and have recently acquired some for my tank. On the first couple of days the shrimps were all out and about and the fish I have (mainly tetras and a few mollies) never bothered with them at all. Now all my shrimps seem to be hiding behind the filter all day. Anyone any ideas what I can do. Do you think they need more hiding places in the tank? Do you think they are scared of the fish? Or is something else the matter?

Any help would be appreciated as I would love to see these guys out and about.

Have to ask this do you have any water quality problems? Ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte stats would be good to know to rule water problems out.

Do you have much in the way of planting? As shrimp will appreciate this in order to give them some sort of cover from the fish, any fish with a large enough mouth is a threat to shrimp, so it could be they are in hiding.

The water all checks out and all my fish are in good health. There is plenty of plants in the tank although I was thinking of adding a couple of little plant pots or something along those lines.

They dont seem too keen on being out and about when the light is switched on in my tank. They hide behind wood and thick plants until it gets dark. Only the female comes out - probably because she is constantly berried and extra hungry!

With shrimps ,you need to take a few things into account. They need cover to retreat to. They also like to be in larger groups-more than 5 is ideal. I have found that with amanos they will come out more in subdued light conditions but are only braver after being in the tank for a few weeks. Its as if they've settled in and are happy with their surroundings. Once they see me dropping pellets in for them no fish gets a look in,my shrimps bully the fish out of the way.

With shrimps ,you need to take a few things into account. They need cover to retreat to. They also like to be in larger groups-more than 5 is ideal. I have found that with amanos they will come out more in subdued light conditions but are only braver after being in the tank for a few weeks. Its as if they've settled in and are happy with their surroundings. Once they see me dropping pellets in for them no fish gets a look in,my shrimps bully the fish out of the way.

Cheers for that. I am planning on putting a couple of plant pots in the tank today to try and give a little more cover for them. I have 11 shrimps so hopefully that's enough for a group of them. Would be nice to see them out and about more but they are making a lovely job of cleaning the filter case lol

Yes they are great algae eaters arent they. I remember when i first got my amanos ,in one night they took all the algae off my fluval filter. Not that i'm complaining!

They seem to be coming out a lot more the past couple of days. Even managed to get a couple of pics this morning.

shrimp_01_original.jpg

shrimp_02_original.jpg

My Amano shrimp have been more active since adding floating plants. When the lights are on they are always under the floaters, never out in the open.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back