Quarantining a Snail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JemZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does it make sense to quarantine a snail before moving it from a tank without fish to one that has a fish? I plan on exposing it to some of its new tank's water first but should I keep it quarantined for longer to avoid any parasites coming with it?

no, snails and shrimp don't have parasites like fish, no need to quarantine
I've heard that parasites can sometimes latch on to them though? The snail has been in a tank in which there have been no fish for 2 months so I don't think any parasites will have survived this long but I'm not sure.

I've heard that parasites can sometimes latch on to them though? The snail has been in a tank in which there have been no fish for 2 months so I don't think any parasites will have survived this long but I'm not sure.
Hmm, maybe? I think they do, it just can't be transferred to the fish.

One example is snails can carry ich but not be sick themselves, they are able to transfer illness like you said. If its been healthy alone for 2 months I don't see a reason to quarantine it again unless you placed new plants or other inhabitants with said snail in the two months. Aquarium plants can also carry illness so to try to buy plants that aren't kept with fish in a store is also a way to avoid transferring any illness

One example is snails can carry ich but not be sick themselves, they are able to transfer illness like you said. If its been healthy alone for 2 months I don't see a reason to quarantine it again unless you placed new plants or other inhabitants with said snail in the two months. Aquarium plants can also carry illness so to try to buy plants that aren't kept with fish in a store is also a way to avoid transferring any illness
I've also heard of parasites latching onto snail shells and taking a ride. However, there has been no host for these parasites for two months so I doubt they would be able to survive for that long without one. I think I'll just acclimate the snail and put it in.

Most reactions

trending

Back