Quarantine question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hopfrog

Reaction score
So I bought 10 lovely cherry barbs a week ago and they have been doing great in my very basic 10g quarantine tank. I am planning on keeping them in there for at least 3-4 weeks before moving them to my planted 40g breeder that is already set-up and ready for fish. My question is this: if my barbs make it through quarantine without showing any signs of sickness or disease, then once I move them to my main tank do I need to do a full breakdown and sanitization of my quarantine tank before purchasing new fish? I was not planning on buying any new fish immediately after I move the barbs as I want to see how they do for a bit in my main tank, but I would like to move on to the next fish for my stocking plan, and I am curious if I can just do a regular cleaning of the quarantine tank before bringing in new fish or if it is better to do a more thorough cleaning?

I am primarily asking because if I have to complete sanitize everything in the quarantine tank I am not sure how to do that without killing off all of the BB and starting the cycle anew. I am running a basic sponge filter in the QT and I have extra sponges for the filter that are being seeded in the canister filter that is running on my 40g breeder, which in theory should help me to speed up the cycle if I have to start it over again, but I would prefer to not do so if I do not have to.

The only danger with not sanitising the whole tank is the possibility of your fish carrying a disease to which they are immune but which your next fish then pick up. However, I don't know the probability of that happening.

if I have to complete sanitize everything in the quarantine tank I am not sure how to do that without killing off all of the BB and starting the cycle anew.
Well, when I quarantine fishes, there is nothing in tank, except fishes 😁 heater if needed and spongefilter. I waterchange 50% every other day without fail, for 2 weeks.

Well, when I quarantine fishes, there is nothing in tank, except fishes 😁 heater if needed and spongefilter. I waterchange 50% every other day without fail, for 2 weeks.

True. I could just increase the water changes and then it would not be as much of an issue.

True. I could just increase the water changes and then it would not be as much of an issue.
I waterchange this way coz I use soft mineral water whose I know it's perfectly healthy.

Is your "quarantine" tank for new fish acquisitions going to run permanently, without fish until your next acquisition? If yes, all you need to do after the barbs are moved over is to do a major water change using tap water with no dechlorinator (conditioner).

Is your "quarantine" tank for new fish acquisitions going to run permanently, without fish until your next acquisition? If yes, all you need to do after the barbs are moved over is to do a major water change using tap water with no dechlorinator (conditioner).

That is the idea, yes.

So it is has been just over three weeks now that my barbs have been in quarantine and I have been watching them closely. They are eating well and are active and I have seen no signs of ich or any other obvious signs of disease or sickness. I also did not treat them prophylactically with any medications. At this point do you think it would be safe to introduce them into my main tank? I do have API General Cure that I could use to treat them for parasites to be extra cautious based on recommendations that I have seen on here. I don't want to feel like I am jumping the gun in moving them, but they seem to be doing just fine so far.

To me it's ok. You did it very well by quarantining your fishes.
Make an acclimatation and go for it ;)

So it is has been just over three weeks now that my barbs have been in quarantine and I have been watching them closely. They are eating well and are active and I have seen no signs of ich or any other obvious signs of disease or sickness. I also did not treat them prophylactically with any medications. At this point do you think it would be safe to introduce them into my main tank? I do have API General Cure that I could use to treat them for parasites to be extra cautious based on recommendations that I have seen on here. I don't want to feel like I am jumping the gun in moving them, but they seem to be doing just fine so far.

I have never and never would treat fish with any form of medication if they show no signs of disease because it is likely to do more harm than good. I know some people will use "x" no matter what, but not me. And I hold no store by general cures.

I have never and never would treat fish with any form of medication if they show no signs of disease because it is likely to do more harm than good. I know some people will use "x" no matter what, but not me. And I hold no store by general cures.
When will people understand that the key is water hygiene and stress-less fishes ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back