Ok, just something that occured to me the other night.
I don't plan to have a quarantine tank running 24/7, as frankly I don't have the space. What was recommended to me was to run a second small filter on my main tank, and then when I need the quarantine / hospital tank I can get the tank out, fill it with water, wack my spare heater in it and move the second filter over to it, and viola, it's ready to care for fish.
However I've also learnt from here that apparently 'neons' as a whole group don't do well in a freshly cycled tank, and need a mature tank of at least 6 months, which presents a dilemma..
How do you quarantine neons? If I can put them in my quaratine tank as setup above, and keep them in there for 1 month's quarantine, then that would seem to make a mockery of the whole "needing a 6 month mature tank" situation.
The only "6 month mature tank" that I would eventually have would be my main tank, but putting them straight into that would mean no quarantine, and therefore put all the other fish at risk.
Just wondering how people do it?
I don't plan to have a quarantine tank running 24/7, as frankly I don't have the space. What was recommended to me was to run a second small filter on my main tank, and then when I need the quarantine / hospital tank I can get the tank out, fill it with water, wack my spare heater in it and move the second filter over to it, and viola, it's ready to care for fish.
However I've also learnt from here that apparently 'neons' as a whole group don't do well in a freshly cycled tank, and need a mature tank of at least 6 months, which presents a dilemma..
How do you quarantine neons? If I can put them in my quaratine tank as setup above, and keep them in there for 1 month's quarantine, then that would seem to make a mockery of the whole "needing a 6 month mature tank" situation.
The only "6 month mature tank" that I would eventually have would be my main tank, but putting them straight into that would mean no quarantine, and therefore put all the other fish at risk.
Just wondering how people do it?







