Quality Filter Brand For 200+ Gallon Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sac36555

Reaction score
I currently have a 55 gallon tank and am looking to grow in size to 200 or more. I am going to go salt as soon as I feel comfortable enough. my question is, what is a good filter and/or brand for a 200 gallon tank. also, do you need a different filter for salt?

with salt water you dont need a filter, all you need is lots of live rock (1kg for every 10 litres) and LOTS of flow, your looking at 20x turn over, thats 16000 litres an hour

Yeah most people use the berlin method of filtration (Live rock and good water flow) as its actually much easier (and arguably better) then using traditional filtration methods (canister filters, etc).

Live rock (LR) is basically rock taken directly out of the sea, it contains all the bacteria you need for the ammonia/nitrogen cycle and is basically the same as your bio media in your canister filter. the added advantage is you also get quite a bit of marine life hitch hike in with it and many marine fish (depending on what you get) will feel more comfortable with a decent amount of liverock in the tank.

You can (if you are going for fish only) use a canister filter the same as in FW but I wouldnt really recommend it. Most people with Marine tanks only use a canister filter for chemical filtration (they have it empty except for maybe some LR rubble and phosphate and nitrate removers).

Edit: Oh yeah, Welcome to the Forums :)

those were both helpful tidbits, but i think he's going to do fresh fist and then switch. id offer advice on the filter for 200 gal fresh tank, but i do not know the answer and am interested to know myself.
CHEERS for the NEW YEAR!!!

Don't forget you will need a protein skimmer on a tank that large. I run deltec skimmers on my 1000 litre system.

Ideally on that size tank you will need a sump. The amount of equiptment needed on marine tanks in unbelivable. I have a 5ft sump and its totally full...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back