Python No Spill Clean & Fill Water Changers

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

woundupmum

Reaction score
Are these any good (Python No Spill Clean & Fill Water Changers)do you get a lot of wasted water? Im on meter.
What hapens about declorinator?
Has any one got one of these?
Are they really worth the cost?

IMO, the Python is the best invention in fishkeeping since the HOB filter.

How much water is wasted depends on whether the sink or the tank are higher. If the tank is higher, you have to run the water to keep the suction going when emptying the tank, but I don't think it's all that much water. Can't say for sure though.

People always talk about being "on meter", but how much does water actually cost in the UK?

I bought one 2 months ago and never want to go back!!

as said, if your tank is higher then the sink, it will prime itself and then you can close the faucet and let gravity do the work. I imagine it wastes about the same amount of water you take out of the tank.

as for filling it, i just dump the dechlorinator in the tank and then add water.

No more buckets for me!

Even with gravity involved if you want good suction for vaccuming you'll need to run the tap and it does, in this case, waste a lot of water. Once you're done vacuuming though you can shut off the tap and just let the water flow out on it's own. For draining many people use the python like a normal hose and drain the tank right out the window to get suction while saving on water.

As far as dechlorinator, this stuff works instantly and you can simply add it before or while you fill the tank with new water.

This is the best thing ever invented for us "fish people" But, I only use my faucet to fill up my tank. I drain my tank with the python just like a regular vacuum cleaner and let all the water flow out my door. :thumbs:

It really depends on what size tank you have. If it is over 40 gallon so a water chagne involves 10 gallon or more then it is well worth the money. I use mine for the 75 gallon but usually not for the 29 gallon unless I am changing water on both the same day.

As for being on a meter, I am too. I don't use the python to remove water. I simply syphon it out into 5 gallon buckets with my regular vacuum (you can also use the one from the python as it is removable) and pour the water in the flower bed. They do waste a lot of water if you use them for draining. Their real value is in refilling though. Only takes a few minutes. Just make sure the water temp you are putting back is within a degree of the current tank water temp.

Edit: For dechlorination, I use Stress Coat. The directions say to add 1 tsp per 10 gallons for water changes or 1 tsp for 5 gallon to aid in replacing the slime coat. Since the 1 to 5 is acceptable, I dose at that rate and add half (1 tsp to 10 gallon) as soon as the water starts running in and then the other half just as I turn the water off. I have never had a problem with doing it that way.

:cool: Thanks guys. will defenetly consider getting one.
Dont know how much water costs, not been metered for long, but as well as paying for it there is still often in the summer months water restrictions on hose pipes.

I will add that I did find a down side to Pythons during our hotter than normal summer. Because of the very high temperatures over a 2 week period in early August, my tap water was at about 83 degrees. I found that I couldn't use the python because it raised my tank temp too much during a 15% water change (raise it about 2.5 degrees). It didn't harm the fish doing it that one time but I was afraid to do it again. I ended up having to use buckets for the next 2 or 3 weeks and put bags of ice in them to bring the water temp down to the 78 degrees my tanks run. I guess that's not really a down side but still is a consideration.

I dont mean to sound daft, but what are you all talking about? It all sounds very interesting and everyone seems to rate it, whatever it is. lol

yvez9 said:
Click here to see it!!! :)it's the Python!
[snapback]903254[/snapback]​

I can't use it. Sounds wonderful but I've used the vacumn syphon stuff before and would suck up my poor bridget rasboras. I would then see them in the bucket and have to fish them out and plop them back into the tank. They are wonderful fish, but they like taking trips up syphon tubing. They would sit and just wait for me to lift the syphon and in they'd go. These guys also make me put a fish net in my power filter as they also like to take trips to see what a power filter looks like inside. They are very inquisitive. :rolleyes:

So it is because of three little old fish (over two years!) that I use the old fashioned cup and bucket method of tank care. They will not be going into any large tanks I plan to set up in the future.

lljdma06 said:
I can't use it. Sounds wonderful but I've used the vacumn syphon stuff before and would suck up my poor bridget rasboras. I would then see them in the bucket and have to fish them out and plop them back into the tank. They are wonderful fish, but they like taking trips up syphon tubing.
[snapback]903298[/snapback]​
Try putting a piece of mesh over the end. Something with large enough holes to allow the trash to be sucked up but not large enough for your fish to go through.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back