Python No Spill Clean And Fill

I'm seriously considering buying one. Does it matter if your faucet is higher or lower than the tank? How does gravity come into play with this thing? I was thinking about getting a 100-footer and using to service tanks on two levels of my house (using a downstairs faucet).

Please educate me. I never used a python before. Here is my question: Won't it be stressful to the fish when you are running tap water (which is cold and probably not the same pH as the tank water) right into the tank?

Nikki

:D If the python is connected to a faucet , like at the kitchen sink , you can mix hot and cold water to get the proper temp[ as close to]. changing small amounts with cooler water is OK as long as the temp won't drop more than ..say 2 or 3 degrees.
PH that comes out in tap water is usually close to neutral , at least in my case it does . If I can drink it , my fish will most likely live in it . :nod:

Changing a portion of the water shouldn't raise or lower it so drastically the it will harm your fish , unless they are very delicate or ill . Or if your tap water is way off .

Also water conditioners should be added at the time the new water goes in the tank.[ binds and or removes harmful metals , and chemicals , making the water safer for fish to live in it .]

There are also products made to raise or lower PH , but unless you have huge differences between your tap water and your fishes needs , I wouldn't bother .

Just wanted to add my $0.02. To save a lot more than $0.02, a nice alternative to the Python No-Spill gravel cleaner is the Lees Ultimate Gravel Vac (check http://www.thatfishplace.com for pricing, etc. -- plenty of other stores carry the same product). It's about $15-$20 US dollars cheaper than the Python and it's basically identical and just as high in quality. You can buy them in 25-foot and 50-foot sizes, both kits include an adapter for the siphon intake that prevents you from sucking small fish into the intake. At any rate, these things do save you a ton of time and agony, and I highly recommend them for any tanks larger than 20 US gallons in size that could require several bucket trips for even a 15-20% water change.

As for the questions concerning dechlorination, just add the dechlorinator to your tank immediately before refilling it with the gravel vac. To match water temperature, use your finger and compare the water coming out of the faucet to the water in your tank -- your finger can gauge temperature to within a 1/2 degree (believe it or not), so this method should be fine. If you change less than 25% of the water, you don't need to worry about matching the water temp as much, but try to approximate it as best as possible with just your finger. I have a digital thermometer measuring my tank temperature and have never seen my tank temp change more than +/- 0.2 degrees F during a water change.

Also, pH in tap water is usually very close to 7.0 (neutral); obviously quality of tap water varies based on where you live. Unless you need a specific pH for breeding or whatever, you generally don't need to adjust the pH just because you added tap water. Whenever I change the water, I add some "stress coat", a dose of Cycle (to stimulate beneficial bacteria growth), and a dash of aquarium salt. I have gotten great results and have yet to experience water chemistry problems using the above methods.

anyone know where to get one in the uk? I found one place but its £40!! Theyre only like $23 in the usa...

hello, im located in australia and i was wondering if there was a shop i can get the python from or a place online that can deliver to my door, sydney in specific. ps, water taht i syphon out goes straigth to my mums garden :p

It is BRILLIANT! But the Python was the least of my worries - the mixer tap cost £70 and the plumber to fix it in cost another £40. But the fishies get warm water that matches their tank temp. Gotta do what's right for the fishies!! They all love water changes, they play in the flow and are really active, colourful and happy afterwards. And the cats love it too cos they chase the bubbles swooshing through the clear Python hose and really can't work out why they can't catch them... :p

(PS 120 Gallon?!?! :drool: me want one.....)
My cat loves it too! He chases the crap that goes through the hose. Very amusing. :)

I have been using one for about 8 years, It's the best bit of kit I own.

My fish LOVE the water change..they actually swim against the current. Great invention for the tank. SH

As for the questions concerning dechlorination, just add the dechlorinator to your tank immediately before refilling it with the gravel vac.

so let me get this right. before you add the new water from the tap you put the delclorantion in and you can add the water from the tap? everything will be fine?

That's what I do....the dechlorinator should work nearly instantaneously. I have never lost a fish from a water change. SH

ok i dont understand how a python works do you hook it up to your foucet and it has a opening were all the fish water goes dwon the drain and then somhow you do something and the water then stats flowing from the faucet into the tank is that how it works because i am very confuesed.

Yes..there is a valve.

As for temp, you'd be surprised how close you can come to temp with just your finger, probably within 1-2 degrees. Fish are a lot tougher than you give them credit for....trust me..if the tank is sitting at 75 degrees and you do a 30% water change with 73 or 77 degrees, the tank won't fluctuate more than a degree....they'll be fine. What you DO want to make sure is that your tap keeps a constant temp. If you run out of hot water while doing a water change and your feed goes from 75 to 45....not good. SH

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back