Python Cleaning Tool

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Does anyone have and use a Python cleaning tool? (The thing that hooks up to your kitchen faucet).

Most reviews I see on this thing are awesome, but I did come across one person with sand substrate that said it was no good, sucked up the sand and left the poo. But sometimes tells me he doesn't know how to draw the poo up off the substrate by spinning the suction tube in tight circles.

Does anyone have any of these with sand substrate? How do you like it?

We used one at the pet store I used to work at, and the thing was a godsend. We only had gravel, but it was great at separating out the poo and other debris.

I made my own and it truly is a thing of beauty. I love it and could now not image life with out it. I have 3 tanks and this thing make doing water changes and watching my 1yr old posable.

I couldn't manage to keep all my tanks clean without one. It works well for me with either sand or gravel. :thumbs:

I've had one for many many years. An absolute back saver. The person who couldn't clean sand with it didn't understand that for sand, you don't actually touch the substrate. You twirl the end above the poop and it draws it out. It's magic :lol:

On I missed the sand thing. I have sand in my tanks and no problems. Sure some gets sucked up if you are not watching what your doing.

I have one but really don't like it. I have sand in all my tanks and my 150 gallon Ive had to use it because my regular gravel vac hose is to short. Well the hose on the python is just to big in diameter for me. With my smaller hose I just have to hover over the sand it it comes right up. With the python hose I have to swirl it around and it takes forever. When I go to fill the 150 back up after the water change I just use a bucket so I can add conditioner to each bucket. If I used the python and hooked it up to the sink I would have to condition the whole tank and thats a lot of cap fulls. When filling a large tank up for the first time especially when it big enough to need a ladder if your using buckets a python works great.

You only put in the amount of water treatment you need. So if you take out about 30 gal you add how ever much water treatment for the new 30 gal. I have never had a problem with it.

As for the hose not being right size. I made my own and so my tube is small around. You can get an adaptor. But to make your own you can make it how ever you want. I highly recomend people to make their own pythons it's cheaper and better.

Actually for prime (and others I suspect) the manufacturer has a good reason for treating the whole tank. I can't find the thread on it, but the jist of it was that treating the entire tank was necessary as some of the biological stuff in the tank gets bound up with the dechlrinator, and in order to ensure that the proper amount of chlorine/chloramine gets removed you need to dose the entire volume (this is of course if you treat the whole tank as you are filling instead of using buckets.)

I wish I could find the thread on it.

Well I have been doing it this way for a year now and have no problems at all with water. My fish are fine too. I do always add a little extra after the first few capfulls. I think the manufacturer say add more to cover their butts and the more you use the more you buy. I'm sure you are right treating the whole tank has it's advatage. for me I have not had a problems adding only the amount I need. But I do add extra.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back