Pygmy Cory

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Carolinesugar

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all, im abit new to catfish, as ive only ever had plecos and banded loaches before, but i spotted a baby pygmy cory, and really did fall in love with him,

ive posted on the betta area, about my idea for a new home for my betta, and even drawn up a plan of how i want to have the tank, but no1 really knew enough to tell me more about the Pygmy, mayb someone here could help ?

this is the link to the post i added to the betta area yesturday

My Post

I think I gave you a bit of help before, so I'll try to expand if I can. I just love these little fish, they're adorable. Anyways, they're just like any other cory, and spend their time searching for leftovers in the gravel. They are nocturnal and have light-sensitive eyes, so need a place in the tank that is shaded. Pgymies really love to be in groups, and I have actually found that mine get quite depressed when not with others of their exact kind. They also swim in open water a bit more than other types of cories. They need to have their diet supplemented with sinking foods. Mine love Hikari Sinking Wafers, and also Shrimp Pellets (can't remember what brand). Pgymies can also be a bit more sensitive to water quality than some other cories, so prefer to have low nitrates. I hope it works out for you to get some, they're great little fish. :thumbs:

hiya Julie, thanx 4 the help, you seem to be the only one thats tried to help me out with this problem!

im still in 2 minds abt how 2 sort the new tank for Prince, as i wud av really liked to do it like my plan shows.

more abt Pygmys ....

Is there any special type of food i can get especially for corys ?

How big do they get wen their fully grown ? as i was told they only get half as big as normal corys ? and mine is just abt the same size as a baby molly, or small neon! so im guessing hes only a baby himself ?

What sort of plants do you think they like best ? for the time being he only has a potted lil leaved thing to play in, but in the new tank i will have swords, aquaruim ferns, and a few other nice looking plants,but im happy to get hold of stuff just to please the fish, as much as to please me, cus if their happy, i will be!

Yes, you can get foods especially for cories, they sink and are shaped specially. I do recommend the Hikari Sinking Wafers, they even have a cory on the front of the package. They've got all kinds of good stuff in them, and my cories all love them. :nod:

They get about an inch long, sounds like yours is still a baby. How cute. :wub:

I don't think they necessarily care about what type of plants, though mine seem to like to rest on broad leafed types. I've also used flowerpots as caves that they hang out in a lot. :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back