Pygmy Cory Tank-mates

xautomaticflowersx

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Messages
510
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
Hi there, sorry for repeating myself over here but it was suggested that I'd get a better response from posting in this section :good:

I've got a 30" x 12" x 16" planted tank with plenty of bogwood and mopani wood which at the moment only has 3 polkadot loach (Botia kubotai) and several amano shrimp inhabiting it. I used to have a group of tiger barbs in there, but have rehomed them as I was getting a lot of aggressive behaviour and bullying between the barbs.
I'm now looking at different species of fish to stock my tank with... peaceful species! I love my polkadot loach, they are so fun to watch and are always on the move. I love catfish in general and I know that everyone who keeps corys is totally in love with their cute little personalities. I've not kept them before, but rather like the idea of having a small group in my tank.
The fact that pygmy's are so tiny would mean that I could have a nice group of them, rather than just a trio but I'm concerned about tankmates as their size leaves them vulnerable to predation. Even though they will eventually reach 4-5" (currently they are about 2.5"), my polkadots have never been an issue so far as aggressive behaviour is concerned... they happily sit and munch on sinking food with the amano shrimp (even the very tiny ones) without bothering anyone.

I had in mind that I might get a pearl gourami and a few small shoaling fish (some sort of tetra or rasbora) for the middle/top of the tank. Since the pearl gourami reaches about 4" in size I don't know if it would be suitable. If it's not I'll probably go for panda corys, but just have a few less of them.

Thanks in advance! Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome. ^_^
 
Hi, if you check out my stock in the AquaOne 850 (see signature/profile details) they have been together and happy for quite a while now :good:
 
Lovely, thanks for that! :good:
So they are OK with smaller fish? Because I've also been thinking about getting some Trigonostigma espei (Lambchop/Narrow Wedge rasbora), which are about the same size as pygmy corys.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top