Pygmy Cory Behavior

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Leslie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 5 Gallon Hex which has been up and running for about 3 months. It currently holds 7 Gold White Clouds and 3 Pygmy Cories. I've got a small piece of Bogwood and 4 various live plants. The Cories were put in 2 weeks ago once the tank had cycled and appeared to be stable.

From time to time I've noticed one of the Cories likes to swim around mid-water. Sometimes he looks like he's checking out the side of the tank but other times he just casually swims around. Is this normal?

I've had a group of 8 pygmy cories for about 2 months now. Several of the individuals can be seen crusin the mid of the tank and occationaly making a mad dash for the surface. I believe that it is normal and also it may be because these fish I have are not full grown and may have slightly dif behavior then full adults. If they are otherwise acting normal, I wouldn't worry.
They do look funny free swimming don't they?

ALASKA

Thanks for the reply. It is definitely disconcerting the first time you see them free swimming. They seem to be very happy so I won't worry about them.

I just want to point out that when all your fish are full grown, you will have at least 15" of fish in a 5 gallon tank. You might want to consider getting a bigger tank in the future.

:D hi Leslie

totally normal behaviour for pygmy cories.....they're different from the bigger cories and spend a lot of their time swimming in a group mid tank. Mine also like perching on the plant leaves.

sue

pigmys are cool... almost 2 different fish... one that sits and fidgets on the bottom and one that flits and hovers in mid water - they are great ;)

Most reactions

Back