Pygmy Cory And Gravel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lizi_angelfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi!

Setting up a 60l tank at the mo - fishless cycling so will be a while til I get the little critters. JW what the consensus is on gravel and pygmy cories? I would love to have some. The gravel is not too sharp but obviously don't want to risk hurting them... Also if they wouldn't be happy in my gravel tank then I wondered what else people recommended?

Possible other tankmates: 1) some celestial pearl danios or chili rasboras and 2) one honey or sparkling gourami.

Oh, and some shrimp one day!

Thanks

Hi it is best to have substrate on tank floor for any fish that have barbels as gravel can where the barbels away then the fish can not eat properly , I think small rounded gravel could be ok which has no sharp edges but still quite new at this myself hope this helps . cories are fantastic small fish is there any way you can swap to substrate before your tank has finshed cycling ?
cathy

I used to have my corys on smooth gravel and they never had a problem, but I now have them on sand and they are so much happier able to bury thier noses right into the sand and sift it for tiny food particles. They just can not do this very natural habit on gravel.

If possible I would change the gravel to sand. Khuli loaches too are a great fish (if some what shy) but they too would prefer sand, but they would go well with gourami and other Asian type fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back