Putting Old Filter Into New Tank...

jungleistmassiv

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Wiltshire
Hi guys and girls

I've recently moved house, which means I have now got the big tank I have always wanted :good:

Its an aqua-one 4ft 190ish litre, with an external filter. It has been running for a few days now and I have not started cycling yet.

Would it be ok for me to put the internal filter from my old 60 litre tank into my new tank and run them both for a few weeks while the new external establishes itself, and move all the fish over, or would it be best to cycle the tank seperately?

Thanks in advance

Rich :good:
 
Should be O.k doing that> put old water/gravel in also and keep both running for a few weeks. >Testing to get PH etc same as current set-up. (Fairly big diff. in volume however.....mmm?)
 
ok thanks for your help! Was a bit worried about dumping all my fish in in one go, but I only have about 12 small-ish fish. I've got a proper test kit, so i'll keep my eye on all the levels for the next few weeks.

:thumbs:
 
the bacteria in your existing filter can support the fish you already own, the colume of water is pretty much irrelevant, as long as you don't add any new fish straight off then it's fine. run the filters in tandem for as long as you can (2 weeks minimum, preferably a bit more) and don't add any new fish for a month or so, when you do add new fish just build up gradually and you should be absolutley fine :good:
 
thanks for that miss wiggle, i'll get them moved over tonight and i'll let you know how i get on :yahoo:

I dont have the net at home yet, but when its all set up in a few days i'll post up some pics :D
 
got a few more questions ;)

I bought an aquaclear powerhead today, blimey they arent cheap!


How often should I be cleaning out my external filter? I will stick with the weekly 1/3ish water changes. I used to clean my small internal filter out weekly, but as the external is a lot bigger, how often should it be done?

Also, what do the different stages in my filter do? from the top it goes -

5, cotton wool like stuff, for polishing water
4, tight foam pad, chemical filter?
3, white strange things, look like hula hoops? what do these do?
2, large foam, particle filter?
1, black plastic balls, any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Rich :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top