Pufferfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

samthefishman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting one for my 23gal.
Whats would be the recomended puffer for a beginer? in puffers i mean, i have kept fish well over 3 years now.
I would prefer Freshwater over brackish, also would like the puffer to grow quite a good size.
Thanks.

There are no 'larger' freshwater puffers that would be happy in 23 gallons for life, but if you'd be happy to upgrade later, then maybe a dragon, congo or brown would suit.

Yeah if it got to large of course i would get a larger tank. Sir how big do these puffers get? i am only planning on getting one. I have about 3000 snails, i am sure it would love them :).
1 more question, do YOU think i would be able to purchase some in australia?

Your puffer has inspired me, they are simply amazing! all your fish are! its people like you that keep my dream alive, as all my mates think its quite stupid. I didnt think their were people in this world that were inlove with fish as much as I, i am SO greatful i came along this forum and happy to have met most you people in here :) Sorry it has nothing to do with puffers, but i just felt like it needed to be said. So yeah, thanks Sir :)

For australlia you would probably want to locate regional puffers if what has been stated is right about importation of fish.

I have read that GSP come from a variety of places in the world and there might be a regional variation available locally. I know there has been research into breeding puffers in captivity, but I do not believe anyone has done it as of yet.

GSP are brackish, but you mentioned brackish wasn't a problem. Eventually you would need a 30 Long or 45 Long for the puffer, or even a 55.

They only get to 6" but need a lot of room.

With all puffers some tank mates can be okay, but you have to be careful or don't grow attached to the tank mates because you might wake up one morning to find them gone.

I believe there are other puffers that have variations in other parts of the world then their native area, but others are more qualified to answer that than me.

I am gonna put my freshwater prawn in there :) hes has out stayed his welcome by hurting most of my fish and eating all their food, i thought he would be cool, i was wrong.

Most reactions

Back