Puffer compatability ???

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

redbelly

Reaction score
I have 7 tiger barbs and 2 cory cats. I am planning to add 2 south american puffers sometime after first of the year. I am not worried about the barbs, but how will the puffers and cats be together. I was also hoping to add a couple more cats if things work out. BTW, I have a 30 gal tank.

I had a jpuffer Many many many years ago. he was in a 10 gal tank with several sword tails and a pelco and he never really bothered any one he was more content to swim up and down in the air bubbles than anything else.

They sound as though they're Amazonian Puffers Calomesus Asellus. I've kept these guys and although they are among the more peaceful Puffers they will still nip fins. Mine did, even to the catfish! Also, they can take a while to settle. I would recommend a species tank with plants and excellent filtration!! A group of 3 will be great. They really do prefer their own company. They will otherwise nip fins or be bullied by other fish (your Tiger Barbs may even attack them). :thumbs:

hmm

what about Figure 8 Puffers? what type of set up would be ideal for them? Are they jumpers?

Thanks a bunch :)

i had a figure of 8 puffer in a comunity tank and he was fine with all my small sized comunity fish but he used to go crazy on my Silver Doller

Err on the side of caution.... they are very interesting and rewarding fish to keep, but you will most likely get the best out of them in a species setup. I have posted some links to some sites on the discussion of puffers a few days ago. They are definately worth visiting!! :thumbs:

Gibbo said:
They sound as though they're Amazonian Puffers Calomesus Asellus. I've kept these guys and although they are among the more peaceful Puffers they will still nip fins. Mine did, even to the catfish! Also, they can take a while to settle. I would recommend a species tank with plants and excellent filtration!! A group of 3 will be great. They really do prefer their own company. They will otherwise nip fins or be bullied by other fish (your Tiger Barbs may even attack them). :thumbs:
Yeah, they are one in the same.

Puffers are brilliant almost human in some mannerisms but they do nip an awful lot. Specially those corys with thier lovely tall dorsals

Most reactions

Back