Pseudomugil Gertrudae

pippoodle

RIP Dear nan 22/03/1925 --11/03/2009
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
3,861
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Devon - UK
ok i've seen these fish
i've read about them but just want to see if anyone has kept them before

Pseudomugil%20gertrudae%20Cadell%20River.jpg
 
ok i've seen these fish
i've read about them but just want to see if anyone has kept them before

I have a small group. They're not too hard to keep. They eat microbites, daphnia, crushed flake, and dried tuberflex worms. Mine are more yellow than those in the photo.

A couple of mine seemed to have some spinal deformities, so watch for that. It hasn't spread in 2 years to fish that weren't already iffy, so I think it due to inbreeding.
 
They look stunning!

Do they have another more commen name? rather than the scientific name. Wouldnt fancy going into lfs and trying to pronounce that lol

Andy
 
ok i've seen these fish
i've read about them but just want to see if anyone has kept them before

I have a small group. They're not too hard to keep. They eat microbites, daphnia, crushed flake, and dried tuberflex worms. Mine are more yellow than those in the photo.

A couple of mine seemed to have some spinal deformities, so watch for that. It hasn't spread in 2 years to fish that weren't already iffy, so I think it due to inbreeding.

O good will definately check that at lfs when i get them to order them for me
thanks hun

They look stunning!

Do they have another more commen name? rather than the scientific name. Wouldnt fancy going into lfs and trying to pronounce that lol

Andy

spotted blue-eye
 
Wow, they are beautiful! Added to my imaginary tank stock list :lol:
 
Thanks Chris
hopefully they will be ok then
cos now i'm keeping the rio 180 and swapping the stock from that to the 240
so will put these in the well established 180 tank they should do well in there
 
definately a great choice hun!!!

but they can be delicate but defo worth it! :good:


I've not seen that to be the case. I've only lost one in 2 years (they're supposedly very short lived fish) and he had a pretty bad spinal deformity. Honestly, it is my least cared for tank and is not up to par with what it should be.
 
I've ordered them today a group of 10 , so i can put a male and female over into their own tank to breed and still have a nice sized group in the tank
i've read they love to spawn on spawning mops and are continuous spawners so will see how i go

Thanks for the info folks
 
I've got some in my wee boy's tank,mine are more yellow too but they are still juvies I think.Yep,also called spotted blue eye or plain old Gertrude's Rainbow.
I have featherfin rainbows too and have found the Gertrudes hardier,in fact,they were straight in the tank and munching away.They're funny little things,not shy at all,spend most of their time showing off to each other and pecking about the plants and decor.
They've got really bendy little bodies!!Be aware that they do not have a long lifespan,many consider them annuals.
 
cheers for the reply hun will post pics of mine when they arrive
 
They are beeeeeautiful, where did you find them Sarah?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top