Protein Skimmers

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Aquascaper

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been into tropical for a long time and have now decided to convert one of my tanks into a marine setup.
I have everything I need except for a protein skimmer. My LFS has one that has a sort of sponge wheel inside (sorry I can't remember the name) which he will do a deal on for me but I have been looking at a Red Sea Prizm Deluxe as well for the same sort of money.

Has anyone got any opinions on the Red Sea skimmers? Are they a good buy? Are they quiet?

The tank is 40" x 12" x 18" (L x W x H) and has:

1 x Rena 400 Powerhead
1 x Rena 300 Powerhead
1 x Rena 150w Heater
1 x 30" Tube (Marine White) + Reflector

I'v used both of those and I'd say go for the aquamedic biostar flotter if thats what you mean. or even better the turboflotter 750 or a deltec mc500. all are good skimmers but I find the prisms hard to clean/adjust and the one I used was noisy. some say ther god, some don't, its up to you.

ste :)

I had one on one of my systems. I now run skimmerless :*)

I guess thats not fair... They are noisy but this can be fixed easily by increasing the air pipe intake length.
They do tend to underskim rather than overskim (which i prefer) so if this suits you then I recomend them. I have not tried any other form of skimmer so i cannot compare the ones mentioned.

I have had a prisem skimmer which was ok, replaced it with a deltec mce600 which skimmed exelent, BUT everytime you put food into the tank it turned into a massive bubble factory, and had to mess about with putting foam around the pump to kill the noise (this is a reccommeded fix in the instructions, so why not fit it at the factory) I replaced that with a tunze 3110/2 cost £79.00, took it out of the box and pluged it in and it works great.

Most reactions

Back